Pune-based advertising technology and analytics company Sokrati has been acquired by Dentsu Aegis Network, reports Exchange4Media. Post-acquisition, Sokrati will be rebranded as Merkle Sokrati, which will further help to scale Dentsu Aegis India’s data and performance marketing solutions. Sokrati is backed by IvyCap Ventures and Inventus Capital. The deal is expected to close this week.
Sokrati was founded ex-Amazonians in 2009. The co-founders of Sokrati—Ashish Mehta, CEO, Anubhav Sonthalia, Enterprise Business Head, and Santosh Kumar Gannavarapu, Head of Innovations, will be joining the Dentsu Aegis Network’s team in India. Sonthalia will be the CEO of Merkle Sokrati and report to Vivek Bhargava, CEO of Performance, Dentsu Aegis Network India, and Zhengda Shen, President of Merkle Asia Pacific.
Sokrati employs 120 people, offering a marketing solution which includes data analytics, CRM based marketing and the integration of offline data and hyperlocal marketing. It also offers digital and performance marketing with a specialization in e-commerce, around categories like search and performance, social, retargeting, display and video production, and product ads. Earlier this month, it rolled out a new business unit called OnlineSales.ai, an eCommerce marketing & analytics platform, which it said is “an AI-led platform for Retailers & eCommerce Marketplaces”.
While raising funds from Inventus Partners in 2015, Sokrati claimed to have over 3,000 clients and drive more than 12 million monthly visits to advertisers, by managing more than 100 million active ads in real-time. It’s worth noting that Inventus is also an investor in the online behavioural retargeting company Vizury which raised $16 million in June last year.
Dentsu Aegis’ Previous Acquisitions
- April 2017: SVG Media, the company which was owned by the Smile and Vun Group, which runs several advertising ventures operations in India, was acquired by Dentsu Aegis Network for about 89% stake.
- January 2015: Dentsu had also acquired WATConsult, a digital and social media agency at a valuation of around Rs 180 crore and Rs 200 crore for 75% stake.
- May 2013: Dentsu India had acquired 80% stake in the digital advertising agency and consulting firm WebChutney and had mentioned that Webchutney will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Dentsu India by 2017.
- August 2012: It had also acquired 51% stake in Mumbai-based Indian advertising agency Taproot India, following which Taproot India had become a part of the Dentsu Network but was operated independently.
- July 2012: Dentsu had acquired London headquartered media buying house, Aegis Group, for approximately GBP 3.16 billion ($4.89 billion approx), as part of a cash deal, following which Aegis Group had become Dentsu’s wholly owned subsidiary.