We’re a leading online media company providing analysis and news on developments in Digital/Technology Policy. We provide our readership of policy leaders, business leaders, government officials and citizens with incisive inputs on Indian and global technology policy developments across the digital industry, with a primary focus on India. We organise discussions with our community of policy professionals, and produce reports on subjects relevant for a technology policy audience.
We’re here to make a difference. Our journalism is a form of public service. Our mandate is to help create a digital ecosystem in India that is open, fair and competitive. Our coverage of the digital space in India has breadth, depth and impact.
MediaNama is hiring for multiple roles:
- Part-Time Editorial Research Assistant
- Sub Editor
Editorial Research Assistant
Location: Civil Lines, Delhi (near Delhi University, North Campus)
– Conducting in-depth research on a wide range of topics related to assigned topics related to technology and tech policy.
– Drafting engaging and informative content for our reports, website and events, including social media content
– Meeting deadlines for content creation and publication
– Assist in correcting and proofreading transcripts, ensuring accuracy and readability
– Support the editor in organizing and managing editorial and event calendars and deadlines, and other tasks related to content and editorial
– Contribute to the overall editorial strategy and content planning process
– Maintain a high level of professionalism and adherence to company guidelines
– Other editorial and event related work, as required.
– Currently studying at Delhi University (North Campus)
– Working knowledge of AI tools like ChatGPT and Bard is essential.
– Strong research and analytical skills, with the ability to extract relevant information from various sources
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
– Familiarity with technology-related topics and trends
– Proficient in proofreading and correcting transcripts
– Well-organized and able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines effectively
– Proficiency in using digital tools and platforms for research and content creation, including
– A strong passion for journalism, media, and technology
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to gain hands-on experience in the dynamic field of technology policy and media. As a part-time editorial research assistant, you will have the chance to contribute to meaningful projects while learning from experienced professionals in the industry.
MediaNama (www.medianama.com) is looking to hire a Sub Editor with journalism and/or sub-editing experience to work with our existing team of technology policy reporters. This is a specialised field, so please do read the post below, before applying, and please follow the application process detailed below.
- Editing and subbing:
- Writing, rewriting, editing and proofreading text, and take overall responsibility for maintaining high standards of subbing in the team.
- Follow our sub-editing checklist and ensure that all aspects in that checklist are addressed adequately.
- Checking facts to ensure stories are accurate, adhere to copyright laws and are not libellous.
- Edit copy for varying lengths and adhere to various platform-specific guidelines.
- Ensure that basic standards of SEO and tagging are followed for enhancing discovery
- Ensure that the output adheres to the house style and standards of our publication
- Deputise for the editor and, allocate work to the team, check progress, and ensure the professional contribution of staff and the quality of output.
- Evaluate story pitches
- Guide the team in terms of improving quality of output and provide value for MediaNama readers.
- Spotting and recommending high impact stories to the editorial team
- Documenting performance of individual team members
What we’re looking for
- Location: Delhi. We are currently working with a hybrid WFM model, but in a post-COVID19 scenario, you will be expected to work with our team in our office in (North) Delhi.
- 3-4 years of experience in a daily newsroom as a sub editor.
- Preference will be given to candidates with online work experience.
- Some experience in reporting on technology. Experience in understanding legal, policy and/or financial documents and filings is preferred.
- Interested in policy developments related to Internet access, commerce, communications, social media, telecom, digital payments, e-governance, global Internet governance etc. You need to be passionate about this domain and how it impacts the world.
- Should be following social, political, economic issues of the country on a day today basis.
- A high standard of Editorial judgment and writing ability based on substantial experience of editing news stories and features.
- A team-player with exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to resolve conflicts, and willingness to get the job done.
- Excellent project and time management skills, ability to multi-task and ensure tasks are completed on time
- Excellent command of the English language.
- You need to have basic working knowledge of HTML, and familiarity with WordPress.
- Comfort with working cross-platform, whether Slack, WhatsApp and/or phone calls.
- Setup: Your own laptop with a functional webcam, audio setup, and a working Internet connection with a backup
- Comfort with ambiguity: the news industry is dynamic, you need to be able to take decisions and iterate quickly. We are currently working with a hybrid WFH model, so expect ambiguity.
Cultural fit: MediaNama’s journalists care about the open Internet, and are keen on learning about the latest technology policy trends and perspectives. We are geeky about technology policy. We have an eye for news and a desire to get the news first. We enjoy engaging with and helping each other out with stories, information and perspectives. What matters most to us, is that MediaNama’s community of readers benefit from our work, and learn from the conversations they have with our journalists. We like the work that we do, and take great pride in it, and the impact that it has on the domain that we cover.
Remuneration: INR 30,000 – 50,000 per month
Apply here: https://forms.gle/DsCJJYfWYZ1Sg84Y7
(Note: Application form requires a Google sign in)