Tech Policy Reporter
MediaNama (www.medianama.com) is looking to hire a Tech Policy reporter to work with our existing team. This is a specialised field, so please do read the post below.
We’re a leading online media company providing analysis and news on developments in Digital/Technology Policy. We provide our readership of policy leaders, business leaders, government officials and citizens with incisive inputs on Indian and global technology policy developments across the digital industry, with a primary focus on India. We organise discussions with our community of policy professionals, and produce reports on subjects relevant for a technology policy audience.
We’re here to make a difference. Our journalism is a form of public service. Our mandate is to help create a digital ecosystem in India that is open, fair and competitive. Our coverage of the digital space in India has breadth, depth and impact.
- Track and report
- Current news and developments in technology policy and tech law in India, key developments in the rest of the world.
- Technology policy developments at the UN, EU and various global Internet policy forums.
- Parliament, Supreme Court and various High Courts in India for policy developments
- Analyse: judgments, data, regulatory filings and other information and present it in a concise manner
- Organise: Prepare questions, help identify speakers, live tweet and/or report on MediaNama events, apart from taking on additional responsibilities. Prepare reports based on MediaNama events. You may also be required to host or moderate MediaNama events.
What we’re looking for
- Location: Delhi. We are currently working remotely, but in a post-COVID19 scenario, you will be expected to work with our team in our office in (North) Delhi.
- 1-3 years of legal or policy reporting experience, preferably on technology policy.
- Experience in understanding legal, policy and/or financial documents and filings is preferred.
- Preference would be given to candidates with online work experience.
- Promising candidates with limited experience may also be considered; your passion for the policy domain and writing skills matters most.
- Interests: Interested in policy developments related to Internet access, commerce, communications, social media, telecom, digital payments, e-governance, global Internet governance etc. You need to be passionate about this domain and how it impacts the world.
- A high standard of editorial judgment and writing ability.
- Excellent time management skills
- Proven experience in delivering a mix of news and features content.
- Proven familiarity with Google Analytics and basic knowledge of SEO will be an advantage
- Excellent command of the English language.
- You need to have basic working knowledge of HTML, and familiarity with WordPress.
- Comfort with working cross-platform, whether Slack, WhatsApp and/or phone calls.
- Setup: Given that we will be working remotely, you must have:
- A working Internet connection and a backup
- Your own laptop with a functional webcam and audio setup
- A comfortable workspace, given that this will require long hours
- Cultural fit: MediaNama’s journalists care about the open Internet, and are keen on learning about the latest technology policy trends and perspectives. We are geeky about technology policy. We have an eye for news and a desire to get the news first. We enjoy engaging with and helping each other out with stories, information and perspectives. What matters most to us, is that MediaNama’s community of readers benefit from our work, and learn from the conversations they have with our journalists. We like the work that we do, and take great pride in it, and the impact that it has on the domain that we cover.
- Comfort with ambiguity: the news industry is dynamic, you need to be able to take decisions and iterate quickly. We are currently working remotely, perhaps for the rest of the year, so expect ambiguity.
Apply here: https://forms.gle/DsCJJYfWYZ1Sg84Y7
(Note: Application form requires a Google sign in)