Some data from the Indian Railways in Parliament, in response to questions:
Payments and ticketing
- So far, this financial year (FY17, up to June 2017), 17% of total tickets, both reserved and unreserved, were “booked through various cashless modes of payment”. The railways offers multiple modes of cashless payment, including Paytm, Mobikwik, mRupee, IRCTC wallet, Payu, Freecharge, JIO Money, Ola money etc.
- IRCTC handles around 650,000 online tickets a day. “E-ticketing website for reserved tickets now handles about 62% of total reserved tickets.
- Paperless Unreserved ticketing on mobile phones, launched on 25th December 2014 in Mumbai, has been expanded to “suburban sections of Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Secunderabad and New Delhi-Palwal section of Northern Railway.” This uses a QR code for ticketing. “About 12,800 tickets are booked per day for about 80,000 passengers.”
- Automatic Ticket Vending Machines (ATVMs): “About 450 such ATVMs are now functional over Indian Railway network. These machines issue unreserved tickets and accept currency as well as Smart Cards for payment. In addition, about 2400 Smart Card based ATVMs have also been commissioned.” About 900,000 tickets per day are bought through ATVMs
- “The computerized Passenger Reservation System is available at more than 3400 locations with about 10,000 terminals. In order to promote cashless transitions, Point of Sale Terminals have been provided at major locations.” Computerized Unreserved Ticketing System has been implemented across Indian Railways at more than 5900 locations.
- WiFi is available now at 128 Railway stations, and the plan is to extend that to all A1, A and B category stations by March 2020.
- The Android version of the Railway Enquiry Application has been installed by more than 5 million users.
- CCTV based video surveillance is planned at 983 stations of A1, A, B and C category, where no CCTV is installed. Financial bids are expected to be opened in 1st week of August 2017
- The railways earned:
- Rs 165299.04 crores in FY17
- Rs 163790.95 crores in FY16
- Rs 157071.59 crores in FY15