- Sweden-headquartered app Truecaller claims to have 500 million downloads and crossed 150 million daily active users (DAUs) globally
- As of August, it had 1 million paid subscribers globally, citing smart dialer, VoIP, messaging, and “spam-free” SMS inbox.
- As of February, Trucaller had 100 million daily active users in India.
- At the same time, it also said that every tenth active user in India had linked their bank account to Truecaller Pay.
- According to the company, 60% of all the users who joined Truecaller Pay as of February were experiencing UPI for the first time.
We have reached out to Truecaller for latest India specific details.
What Truecaller operates:
- UPI payments: Truecaller launched its UPI payments with ICICI Bank in 2017. It onboarded Bharat Bill Payments System, an integrated service for utility payments, in December 2018.
- In-app chat: Truecaller launched an in-app chat feature last year to fight spam and misinformation. At the time, it has said its “well-positioned” to solve the spam and misinformation problems, since its been doing it for years.
- Spam blocking: Last month, the company added new blocking features including blocking of hidden numbers, blocking of foreign numbers, numbers not in user’s phone book, telemarketers.
- VoIP Voice: In June, the company launched a voice service called ‘Truecaller Voice’ to allow the users to make VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls. Initially, the service is available only on the Android version and will be rolled out in iOS later.
- It also has a subscription product that offers services such as voice recording, incognito mode, “who viewed my profile”, and contact requests. The “Premium service” can be availed by users at a starting price of $0.99 a month.
- Call Alerts: Truecaller will send Call Alert to users about the caller’s identity before the phone rings.
- Full-Screen Caller ID: Truecaller will introducing a full-screen Caller ID to inform the users instantly if an incoming call is personal, business, or spam. User can also accept, reject or send a quick message from the same screen.
Recent concerns due to TrueCaller bug:
- On August 6, Truecaller CEO Alan Mamedi had said less than 0.12% of total monthly active users in India were affected by the “bug” due to which the app began registering users for UPI ID without consent.
- The company had explained that it did not cause any financial or data loss for the affected user.
- The company clarified that the particular API which caused the problem, was supposed to be initiated for only existing Truecaller Pay users who consented to sign up for it, but it triggered for a portion of users who were not already registered for payments.