Zee Entertainment reported consolidated revenue of Rs 1528 crores million for Q4-2017. Earnings Before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) was at Rs 468.7 crores, with an EBITDA margin of 30.7%.
Profit after tax for the quarter was Rs 1514.2 crores which includes an exceptional gain of Rs 1223.4 crores on account of sale of sports business Taj TV (Ten Sports) to Sony Pictures Network. This is on the basis of the first phase of the sale, so there’s more money coming.
There wasn’t much from Zee on its digital numbers for DittoTV, saying only that its integration with telecom operators had led to “good traction”. Ozee, which Zee’s online property, saw an average of over 50 million views during the quarter.
A few points from the press release:
- Growth back on track “After a couple of quarters of weakness, advertising growth appears to be back on track.”
- “The GST roll-out could boost advertising spends as a part of potential tax savings might be reinvested.”
- Driving subscription: “We are confident that with the strong competitive position of our channels in every genre, we will be able to drive subscription business.”
The Numbers (for Q4-2017)
- Advertising revenue: Rs 846.9 crore, flat QoQ.
- Domestic ad revenue: Rs 794.4 crores, up 8.1%
- International ad revenue: Rs 52.5 crore. There was a decline in advertising revenues.
- Sports advertising revenue was Rs 9 crore, down from Rs 61.2 crore for the same period last year.
- Subscription revenue: Rs 558 crore, down 6.1% YoY. (Zee says last year, they had a high base “on account of catch-up revenues)
- Domestic subscription revenue: Rs 455.4 crore
- International subscription revenue: Rs 102.6 crore. There was a decline in subscription revenues.
- Sports subscription revenue was Rs 78.9 crore, compared to Rs 83.9 crore for the same quarter last year.
- Zee’s non-sports viewership share was 16%. The Hindi portfolio has retained market-share, while the regional portfolio has improved its.
- Zee Music got over 2.2 billion views on YouTube in Q4
The Numbers (for FY17)
- Advertising revenue: Rs 3673.5 crore, up 9.2% YoY
- Sports advertising revenues were Rs 107.2 crores for the year
- Subscription revenue: Rs 2262.9 crore, up 10% YoY.
- Domestic subscription revenue: Rs 1822.6 crore, up 13.5%
- International subscription revenue: Rs 440.3 crore, up 3%
- Sports subscription revenues were Rs 393 crore for the year.
Zee Music Company continued with its library expansion with acquisition of rights of both Bollywood as well as regional music. In Q4, the ZMC label got more than 2.2 billion views on its YouTube channel.
Live Events business kicked off on-ground shows under the Zee Theatre umbrella in 9 cities across the country and 3 cities overseas. Zee Live’s other property ‘Wicked Weekends’continued to enthrall young audience in metro cities. DittoTV is now integrated with major telecom operators which has led to good traction on the platform. Ozee continued to see organic growth with increased footfalls and witnessed an average of 50 mn+ video views per month during the quarter.