US-based online video streaming application YuppTV confirmed that it has acquired Reliable IPTV. This was first reported by Telugu 360. A spokesperson for the company said that they could not give any other details about the deal at the moment and that it would issue a statement about the same soon. MediaNama has reached out to YuppTV founder Uday Nandan Reddy and will update once we hear from him.
Reliable IPTV was formed in 2008 and caters to the Telugu-speaking NRI diaspora in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. It has packages for Telugu and Hindi TV channels starting from $15 a month. It has over 35 Telugu TV channels on its catalogue. Additionally, Reliable IPTV has a set-top-box for televisions called RBox which has IP based phone calling and web browsing. Reliable IPTV is also available on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Google TV.
YuppTV was founded in 2007 by Reddy and also targets the overseas market. It offers a subscription-based live television & video-on-demand service to expats in countries like the US, Europe, Australia, Canada and South Asian countries. YuppTV claims to have eight million users as of now.
In 2014, YuppTV raised $2.5 million from angel investor Sashi Reddi and the company reported revenues of $11 million in 2013. It has more than 200 TV channels, 5,000 movies and 100 TV shows.
In recent times, YuppTV has been stepping up its content acquisitions
– In August, it acquired broadcasting rights for the USA-T20 matches held in West Indies, Canada, and Caribbean Islands.
– In July, YuppTV Bazaar tied up with Culture Machine to make available all of Culture Machine’s channels including Being Indian, Epified, Old Delhi Films, Put Chutney, Blush, Rascalas, Being Indian’s Awesome Sauce, Whack and VIVA, on the YuppTV platform.
– It partnered with Silly Monks to acquire digital streaming rights of the latter’s Hindi, Telugu, Tamil & Malayalam content like movie trailers, music videos, interviews and events from Tollywood, Mollywoood and Kollywood film industry.
– In April, the company added Star Plus and Life OK to its platform.
– In March, it partnered with Zee Entertainment Enterprises (ZEEL) to provide digital content from Zee’s &TV channel, including content like movies and TV shows played on the channel.