ErosNow will now allow WeChat users to listen to music, watch videos and get Bollywood gossip and news through its official channel on the messaging platform. WeChat users will also be able to share their favorite stuff from ErosNow official account on WeChat to friends through chats or Moments.
It’s worth noting that earlier this month Eros International Media shelved its plans of buying a television network following calls from investors to focus on their digital platform and it seems this is a move along the lines of what the board had decided. ErosNow said it had about 14 million users at the end of the quarter ended March 31. It did not, however, disclose monthly active users and the revenues earned from the digital service.
In November last year, WeChat released an API that would allow mobile apps to connect with their corresponding WeChat official accounts. WeChat also has tie-ups with brands like Hungama Music, Cafe Coffee Day, Big Bazaar, 9XM and others who have an official account on WeChat. WeChat had mentioned that official accounts created in partnership with them get access to WeChat API.
In 2014, WeChat had started allowing owners of verified official accounts with WeChat Payment integration to set up in-app e-commerce stores. WeChat Payment is the mobile payment solution developed by Tencent-owned online payments service company Tenpay. This feature was previous limited to Weixin, the version of WeChat offered in China.
Eros’ content deals
– In August last year, ErosNow signed a partnership to acquire the worldwide rights of select Zee TV shows. Through the partnership, Eros Now got access to episodes from Zee TV’s soaps & reality shows to its subscribers. This includes shows like Pavitra Rishta, Fear Files, Ek Mutti Aasmaan, Sapne Suhane Ladakpan Ke, Jodha Akbar, Do Bandhe Ek Dori Se, Kumkum Bhagya, Qubool Hai, Aur Pyar Ho Gaya, and Armano ki Doli among others.
– In May 2014, Eros inked a content deal with from Colors television channel and got access to shows like Balika Vadhu, Uttaran, Sasural Simar Ka, Beintehaa, Rangrasiya, Sanskaar (Season 2), Madhubala, Comedy Nights with Kapil and Khatron Ke Khiladi.
– In September 2013, Eros Now acquired Bollywood movie titles from UTV and Viacom18 to their catalogue which included movie titles like Special 26, Chashme Baddoor, Oh My God, Jab We Met and others and UTV movie titles like Rowdy Rathore, Barfi, Rang De Basanti, Jodha Akbar, Kaminey and others.
– Eros also signed a deal with KT Corp in 2011, a South Korean mobile carrier to distribute 50 film of its film titles on several digital platforms. Olleh TV, which is owned by KT Corp, was responsible to distribute the films which include Chalo Dilli, No Problem and London Dreams on a revenue-sharing basis.
– In 2010, Music label T-Series has acquired rights to music and audio-visual content from Eros Films, across all formats.