DB Corp, the publisher of newspaper dailies Dainik Bhaskar, Divya Bhaskar, Saurashtra Samachar and Divya Marathi, has posted a loss before tax of Rs 1.21 crore in the Internet segment for the quarter ended September 30, 2014, an improvement from Rs 2.33 crore loss in the same quarter last year but up from Rs 1.03 crore loss in the previous quarter.
The total Internet revenues was at Rs 6.26 crore for the quarter, up 55.9% from Rs 4.01 crore in the same quarter last year and up 6.3% from Rs 5.89 crore revenues in the previous quarter.
The Internet segment however accounts for just 1.3% of DB Corp’s operational income which was at Rs 480.2 crore for the quarter. The company’s print business still dominates its operational revenues, accounting for 93.6% DB Corp’s operational income for the quarter.
Digital business highlights
– DB Corp’s digital arm DB Digital which operates six portals including Dainikbhaskar, Divyabhaskar, Dailybhaskar, Divyamarathi, Moneybhaskar and Bollywoodbhaskar, mentions that it has crossed the 14 million unique visitor mark. The unique visitors grew by 56% and the pages per visit grew by 83% during the quarter. (Also read: Social trumps search for Indian language publishers online – #NAMAindic)
– DB Corp’s latest digital property MoneyBhaskar (earlier Businessbhaskar) apparently witnessed a 43% growth in unique visitors and 155% growth in pageviews, however no specific numbers were disclosed.
– Dainik Bhaskar’s mobile app has 0.25 million active users, up 260% on a quarterly basis. Divya Bhaskar’s mobile app has 0.1 million monthly active users, up 111% on a quarterly basis. Interestingly, the company notes that it has been aggressively conducting door-to-door campaigns to “communicate and assist” the download of DBCL mobile apps across 19 cities.
– Dainik Bhaskar’s mobile browser user base also grew by 30% to 4 million active users.
– Total revenues up 9.2% year-on-year (YoY) to Rs 483.8 crore from Rs 443 crore in Q2-FY14.
– Profit After Tax (PAT) increased 13.2% YoY to Rs 68.1 crore from Rs 60.2 crore in Q2-FY14. This includes an incremental depreciation of Rs 5 crore and forex loss of Rs 1.96 crore. PAT margin was at 14.1%
– EBITDA: 14% increase YoY to Rs 127.1 crore from Rs 111.6 crore in Q2-FY14. EBITDA margin is at 26.3%.
– Advertising revenues: up 9% YoY to Rs 361 crore from Rs 331.1 crore in Q2-FY14. DB Corp managing director Sudhir Agarwal mentions that they witnessed strong traction from segments like FMCG, real estate, Auto and Lifestyle categories.
– Print: Advertising revenue grew by around 7.1% YoY to Rs 331.9 crore from Rs 309.9 crore in Q2-FY14, Circulation revenue grew by around 15% to Rs 91.5 crore from Rs 79.6 crore in Q2-FY14. PAT was at Rs 64.6 crore and PAT margin was at 14%. EBITDA was at Rs 119.5 crore that includes a forex loss of Rs 1.8 crore while EBITDA margin was at 26.3%.
– Radio Business: Ad revenues increased by 33.3% YoY to Rs 22.8 crore from Rs 17.1 crore in Q2-FY14. PAT was at Rs 4.34 crore and EBITDA was at Rs 8.6 crore. DB Corp currently operates the radio station MY FM in 17 markets.
Updates: Added Dainik Bhaskar’s mobile browser base.