Times Internet’s* subscription-based online video streaming service BoxTV has announced that it has crossed 50 million views in last four months since its launch.
It also claims that the platform has more than 100,000 daily unique users visiting the website and users spend an average of 27 minutes per visit.
The company claims that it has over 250,000 registered users and gets more than 8,000 new sign-ups every day. Out of the 250,000 registered users, BoxTV has about 25% paid subscribers, which translates to 62,500 paid subscribers, informs Pandurang Nayak, Business Head at BoxTV. This is huge number for any subscriber based company to gather in just 4 months. Comparatively, Hungama claims that it has 50,000 paying subscribers overall on its site. Also note that BoxTV has not disclosed any information on number of active users. Update: Nayak has clarified that 25% of its paid subscribers have paid them at some point and not all of them are paying them right now. Also, he added that a significant portion of these subscribers are from outside India and this subscriber base also includes paid customers who have subscribed to the service at discounted rates through various offline and online promotions.
However, BoxTV claims that since it is a monthly subscription, there are people who drop off and other people who join in, and also people who rejoin the service after a few weeks. This means that the paid subscribers is not an absolute number at any given time, however, it’s an indication that the service is being adopted widely by users.
Nayak also informs us that out of the 50 million views, only 15% were from paid users indicating that most of the traffic is driven by free users. This also indicates that the engagement in paid subscribers is pretty low.
– More than half the viewers on the website consumed Bollywood content followed by English and Regional language content. The company attributed this to a larger share of the Bollywood content being available for free/ad supported consumption.
– Content in genres such as Romance (17%), Action (16%), and Drama (15%) were top viewed content while rest of genres such as thriller, history, comedy, suspense, family, children and crime took 52%. It’s quite surprising that content in comedy does not make to the top genres viewed.
– 62% of premium subscribers viewed Hindi content followed by 20% for English and 17% regional, which is largely lead by Tamil and Telugu regional video consumption.
– The Bollywood and regional content were top viewed on the platform from its users in USA, the US and Gulf.
– The platform receives more views in the country from cities such as New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, and Hyderabad.
– BoxTV claims that it receives maximum searches for terms such as “Amitabh Bachchan”, “Cricket”, “Sex” and “Adult”.
*Disclaimer: Times Internet that runs BoxTV.com is an advertiser with MediaNama.