The Cellular Operators Association of India (which includes most of India’s GSM telecom operators), has reported an addition of 6.86 million GSM connections in March 2012, an increase of 1.04% from 657 million subscribers in the previous month. The net additions have declined compared to last month, when telcos added 8.77 million subscribers.
Uninor, whose license was cancelled following the Indian Supreme Court’s judgement in the 2G scam canceling 122 licenses, added 1.29 million connections, taking its base to 42.43 million.
We observed some discrepancy in data, between subscriber numbers reported by the COAI last month and the figures for last month quoted in this month’s report. For example, it had reported 93,426,223 subscribers for Feb 2012, last month. However, in this month’s report the subscriber count for Feb 2012 has been reported as 93,783,131. Similar discrepancy was present in subscriber numbers of all circles except for Mumbai and Delhi.
GSM operator and circle-wise data (excluding Reliance and Tata):
– Bharti Airtel added 2.50 million in March, taking its connection base to 181.27 million.
– Idea Cellular added 2.01 million connections, taking its base to 112.72 million.
– Uninor added 1.29 million connections, taking its base to 42.43 million.
– Vodafone added 1.02 million connections, taking its base to 150.46 million.
– Aircel lost 0.68 million connections, taking its base to 62.57 million.
– Among metro circles, Delhi added 430,050 GSM connections, with Kolkata adding 305,223 GSM connections.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (.xls file)
Note that no information has been provided about the active users, which we’ll probably get once the telecom regulator TRAI releases data for the entire industry.
– February 2012: India Added Over 8.77 Million GSM Connections; Uninor Adds 2.34 Million
– January 2012: India Added Over 8.44 Million GSM Connections
– December 2011: India Added Over 7.55 Million GSM Connections
– November 2011: India Added Over 6.67 Million GSM Connections
– October 2011: India Added Over 7.12 Million GSM Connections
– September 2011: India Added Over 6.52 Million GSM Connections
– Why You Shouldn’t Read Too Much Into COAI’s August 2011 GSM Mobile Data Yet
– July 2011: India Added Over 7.64 Million GSM Connections
– June 2011: India Added over 8.58 Million GSM Connections
– May 2011: India Added over 9.53 Million GSM Connections
– April 2011: India Added over 11.10 Million GSM Connections
– March 2011:India Added Over 14.49M GSM Connections
– Feb 2011: India Added Over 14.69M GSM Connections
– Jan 2011: India Added Over 13M GSM Connections