The Cellular Operators Association of India (which includes most of India’s GSM telecom operators), has reported an increase of 8.77 million GSM connections in February 2012, up 1.35% from 8.44 million in the previous month. It’s interesting to note that Uninor, whose license was cancelled following the Indian Supreme Court’s judgement in the 2G scam canceling 122 licenses, added 2.34 million connections, taking its base to 41.14 million. This implies that the judgement had little impact on subscriber addition, for the company, even at a time when the incumbent operators started running ad campaigns to target users of affected telcos.
Other new telcos like Videocon (Datacom), Etisalat DB, Loop, Shyam Sistema and STel, as well as some licenses acquired by incumbents like Idea Cellular and Tata Teleservices were also cancelled by the Supreme Court, and they all have to cease operations by July 2nd 2012, or either acquire spectrum through a fresh bidding process. Click here for details on license cancellation.
GSM operator and circle-wise data (excluding Reliance and Tata):
– Idea Cellular added the maximum connections 2.58 million connections, taking its base to 110.70 million.
– Uninor added 2.34 million connections, taking its base to 41.14 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 1.82 million in February, taking its connection base to 178.77 million.
– Vodafone added 0.83 million connections, taking its base to 149.44 million.
– Aircel added 0.79 million connections, taking its base to 63.25 million.
– Among metro circles, Delhi added 411,405 GSM connections, with Kolkata adding 155,429 GSM connections.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (.xls file)
Note that no information has been provided about the active users, which we’ll probably get once the telecom regulator TRAI releases data for the entire industry.
– January 2012: India Added Over 8.44 Million GSM Connections
– December 2011: India Added Over 7.55 Million GSM Connections
– November 2011: India Added Over 6.67 Million GSM Connections
– October 2011: India Added Over 7.12 Million GSM Connections
– September 2011: India Added Over 6.52 Million GSM Connections
– Why You Shouldn’t Read Too Much Into COAI’s August 2011 GSM Mobile Data Yet
– July 2011: India Added Over 7.64 Million GSM Connections
– June 2011: India Added over 8.58 Million GSM Connections
– May 2011: India Added over 9.53 Million GSM Connections
– April 2011: India Added over 11.10 Million GSM Connections
– March 2011:India Added Over 14.49M GSM Connections
– Feb 2011: India Added Over 14.69M GSM Connections
– Jan 2011: India Added Over 13M GSM Connections