State run telecom service provider Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) has announced financial results for the quarter ended 3oth June 2011 (Q1-FY12). The company’s total income for the quarter saw a decrease of year on year, closing at Rs 843 crore in comparison to Q1-FY11’s Rs 971.6 crore.
Net loss for MTNL for Q1-FY12 was Rs. 850 crore, compared with Rs. 1099.5 crore loss it posted during the previous quarter, and a loss of Rs. 451.4 crore for the same quarter last year.
MTNL offers basic landline, broadband and cellular services in the two cities of Delhi and Mumbai. MTNL’s major share of revenue comes from basic services.
– The company’s income from basic services during Q1FY12 was Rs 649.8 crore, a decline compared to Rs 798.6 crore that it earned during the same quarter, last year. The company reported a loss of Rs. 540.5 crore for the segment, an increase compared to a loss of Rs.339.1 crore that it posted during last year’s corresponding quarter.
– MTNL’s cellular services generated revenues of Rs 171.4 crore during Q1FY12, an increase compared to Rs 165.9 crore that it generated in Q1FY11. For this segment, the company posted a loss of Rs. 69.45 crore for the quarter. During the same quarter last year, it had reported a profit of Rs. 6.99 crore.
MTNL was the first telco, along with BSNL to offer 3G services. It offers 3G data at the lowest tariffs in the cities where it offers services, at the time of writing this post. Note that MNP or mobile number portability was launched in Q4FY11.
– At the end of the first quarter of FY12, MTNL has 34, 43,376 landline subscribers, out of which 15,38,695 are from Delhi and 19,04,681 are from Mumbai.
– The telco reported 52,36,171 GSM subscribers, out of which the Delhi unit has 22,17,900 prepaid subscribers and 3,13,941 Post paid subscribers, while the Mumbai unit has 23,82,641 Pre paid and 3,21,689 Post paid subscribers.
– MTNL reported 9,61,131 broadband connections, 14,78,652 Post paid internet (Dial-up) and 21,013 Pre paid connections.
– During the quarter, MTNL’s ARPU for basic landline connections in Delhi is Rs.448 and in Mumbai is Rs.557, averaging at Rs. 508.
– The telcos’ ARPU for GSM services was as follows:
Post paid, Mumbai: Rs. 156, Delhi: NA
Pre paid, Mumbai: Rs. 54, Delhi: Rs. 52
– MTNL’s Broadband ARPU was at Rs. 586, a slight decrease compared to last year’s Q1.