The Unique ID Authority of India is targeting 1 million Aadhaar numbers in a day, by October 2011, UIDAI Chairman Nandan Nilekani said at the Aadhaar Developer Track conference, Nilekani reiterated that the authority is now gearing up for the complete deployment of its tech infrastructure and in the next few weeks will witness new rollouts, related to the technical side of things at UID. Earlier, responding to an attendee’s question, he had clarified that the API calls will remain free for the next couple of years.
Some notes from his talk:
– Agency decides Aadhaar verification factors: Nilekani said in his address that even though the Aadhaar number comprises of multiple identification attributes, it is entirely up to an agency to determine if it wants to employ one or more attributes or even put additional verification like smart cards or One Time Passwords.
– Self service verification for non critical applications: Self service verification can be integrated where additional biometric verification is not required, while assisted authentication points can be used for critical applications.
– Mobile number verification: He also mentioned that mobile numbers can be verified through Aadhaar since its also an optional field in the enrollment form.
– Verification of online user accounts: ” UID can be an easy way for verifying one’s Twitter and Facebook account,” Nilekani added. This implies that anyone (not just celebrities) will be able to get verified accounts, with their UID credentials. It can similarly be used for other online accounts where one needs to verify his/her identity.
– Online payments and shopping transactions. If an e-commerce merchant integrates UID verification, at cart checkout, there will be a reduced chance of the customer refusing to pay, when the order reaches for Cash on Delivery transactions. He also mentioned that there can be a lot of other ways in which the UID could be used for online payments. For example, an application could be developed wherein the amount gets debited from the customer’s bank after he receives the product. It can also be deployed for online ticket bookings.