Facebook has 78 million monthly active users (MAUs) in India for the quarter ending March 31, 2012, registering a 50% increase from the same quarter last year and 9.86% increase sequentially, according to the company’s quarterly report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- India Key Source Of Growth: Facebook informed that India and Brazil represented key sources of growth in Q1 2013 as compared to Q1 2012. The company currently has 73 million MAUs in Brazil, a 62% increase from the same quarter last year. Overall, it has 1.11 billion MAUs, up 23% year-on year (YoY). Note that these numbers doesn’t include Instagram users, which the company had acquired last April.
Last week, Facebook had informed that Instagram had crossed 100 million monthly active users during the quarter, although it hadn’t provided any region-wise breakdown of these numbers.
- Growth In DAUs: Facebook also mentioned that it has experienced growth in daily active users (DAUs) and mobile MAUs across all major markets including India, Brazil and the United States, however it hasn’t revealed any specific numbers for these markets. Last week, Facebook had reported a total 665 million DAUs and 751 million mobile MAUs for the quarter. The company attributed the growth in DAUs to the increased mobile usage of Facebook.
Facebook noted that the number of DAUs using personal computers also registered a minor growth as compared to the same quarter last year, however in certain key markets like the United States, the number of of DAUs using personal computers has declined while the mobile DAUs continues to grow.
- Mobile v/s Desktop growth: Facebook expects the rate of usage growth through personal computers to be flat or decline in certain markets like the United States, while the rate of usage growth through mobile phones will continue to grow in the future. It expects the mobile usage growth rate to exceed the computer usage growth rate for the foreseeable future. Facebook had informed in January 2013, that mobile DAUs had exceeded the web DAUs for the first time during the quarter (Q4-2012).
Download – Quarterly report
- Facebook Asia: ARPU $0.64, 319M Monthly Active Users In Q1-2013
- Facebook Q4 2012 Concall: On Being A Mobile Company & Building New Ad Experiences
- Facebook India Trends: Delhi’s Select City Walk Most Checked-in; Songs From ‘Cocktail’ Most Shared