The Cellular Operators Association of India (which includes most of India’s GSM telecom operators), has reported an increase of 8.44 million GSM connections in January 2012, up 1.32% from 7.55 million in the previous month. Leading the way is new telecom operator Uninor, but this is for a period immediately after which, India’s Supreme Court cancelled 122 licenses, and Uninor’s competitors (allegedly) spread rumors about the company shutting down operations. Data for February, once it is out, will be most interesting.
Remember that licenses which new telcos like Uninor and other new telcos like Videocon (Datacom), Etisalat DB, Loop, Shyam Sistema and STel, as well as some licenses acquired by incumbents like Idea Cellular and Tata Teleservices were cancelled by India’s Supreme Court, and they have to cease operations by July 2nd 2012, or either acquire spectrum through a fresh bidding process. Click here for details on license cancellation.
GSM operator and circle-wise data (excluding Reliance and Tata):
Among the other new telcos, Videocon continued to add subscribers
– Uninor added the maximum connections 2.49 million connections, taking its base to 38.79 million.
– Idea Cellular added 1.74 million connections, taking its base to 108.12 million.
– Bharti Airtel added 1.30 million in January, taking its connection base to 176.95 million.
– BSNL added 0.86 million connections, taking its base to 93.42 million.
– Vodafone added 0.85 million connections, taking its base to 148.60 million.
– Aircel added 0.81 million connections, taking its base to 62.46 million.
– MTNL added 50,180 connections, taking its base to 5.49 million.
– Among metro circles, Delhi added 434,250 GSM connections, with Mumbai adding 241,049 GSM connections.
Download: GSM Data from COAI (.xls file)
Note that no information has been provided about the active users, which we’ll probably get once the telecom regulator TRAI releases data for the entire industry.
– December 2011: India Added Over 7.55 Million GSM Connections
– November 2011: India Added Over 6.67 Million GSM Connections
– October 2011: India Added Over 7.12 Million GSM Connections
– September 2011: India Added Over 6.52 Million GSM Connections
– Why You Shouldn’t Read Too Much Into COAI’s August 2011 GSM Mobile Data Yet
– July 2011: India Added Over 7.64 Million GSM Connections
– June 2011: India Added over 8.58 Million GSM Connections
– May 2011: India Added over 9.53 Million GSM Connections
– April 2011: India Added over 11.10 Million GSM Connections
– March 2011:India Added Over 14.49M GSM Connections
– Feb 2011: India Added Over 14.69M GSM Connections
– Jan 2011: India Added Over 13M GSM Connections