Official word in from Yahoo: “We got the notification on the layoffs yesterday, and have completed the process.” Yahoo has declined to comment on specifics.
Original Story: Wednesday was or is layoffs day at Yahoo, depending on where you are based. The company cut around 1500 jobs worldwide, and India appears to have been affected too. I haven’t yet heard from anyone who has been laid off, but there are updates on twitter from some who have retained their job. A roundup of the reports, some of which are unconfirmed (we’ve contacted Yahoo India for a confirmation). Here goes:
– Bangalore job cuts: 3% jobs cut in Bangalore with 4 months severnce according to an unconfirmed SAI report. Around 40 jobs according to the Indian Express, 50 jobs according to ToI, and 60 as per Manorama Online.
– A possibly unrelated move, but ToI reports that Yahoo India’s Chief Information Officer Vishwanathan Krishnamurthy has quit.
– Finance outsourced: “Entire Finance group will be outsourced to an Indian vendor. Some will stay an additional 6 months for transistion.” Via SAI
– Toolbar engineering moved to Bangalore: “Yahoo toolbar entire engineering and QA team in US are got, all moved to Bangalore. Via SAI
– HotJobs team has been wound up: some have been redeployed, and some have been asked to leave. Via ToI
You can follow the Yahoo layoff updates on Twitter here…many of them are from people who’re looking to hire, or offer best wishes and support.
Update: Read Jerry Yang’s letter to the yahoos.