MediaNama invites you to attend our hybrid roundtable on ‘Exploring User Verification’ at The Claridges in New Delhi on March 23, 2023. Conceptualised after observing various verification norms, we plan to talk about a possible framework for the gradation of verification and to introduce proportionality to verification.
If you know how MediaNama discussions work, sign up for the physical discussion (or skip to the agenda and discussion details below), else read on.
Here are 5 reasons why, if you’re in technology/policy, you must consider attending MediaNama discussions, especially the physical, in-person formats:
- Share your point of view and get instant feedback: At MediaNama discussions you get to share your point of view, instead of being talked to by a panel: over 60% of a MediaNama discussion is interactive and focused on debating issues with the participants in the roomful of an audience curated for relevance.
- Meet others working on the same subject: we have dedicated networking time at MediaNama discussions, where you can meet and engage with others working on the same subject, and get a sense of what’s happening behind the scenes.
- Hear a point you hadn’t considered: We curate our participants for a diversity of perspectives, with people working on the same issue, but coming from a different background: hear not just from policy wonks, but also technologists, founders, people working with lawmakers, among others. There’s always another way of looking at something.
- Outcome focused: At the end of each session, one of the key questions we consider is a wish list: what should change, why and how?
- Breadth and depth of understanding: At MediaNama we are focused on providing our readers and attendees with both the depth and breadth of understanding of technology policy. We work hard to determine the probing questions that lend themselves to a deeper understanding of issues, discuss principles, and bring out perspectives that you might not have considered. You can ask questions too. Sometimes the questions are more important than an answer.
Convinced? Sign up for the physical discussion. The virtual option is available to MediaNama subscribers. You may subscribe to MediaNama.
Why is this discussion important?
Globally, there is a growing trend for verification and identification. In India, its presence can be seen even in the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2022 that talks about verification as a means of preventing harms to children online. Similarly, other arguments are that verification can help prevent scams and spamming online.
But let’s take a step back and ask the bigger questions first.
To what extent does a person need to be identified? Why is a person being verified in a certain situation? If the reasons for verification differ, then would it make sense to have a gradation of identification rather than adhering to the same norms everywhere? How can we protect our own sensitive data while undergoing government verification? Also, when should someone be allowed to stay anonymous? And how does identification help prevent scams and spams? And can verification really help prevent harms to children online? If so, how? In all of this, there is also the question of consent and opting in for verification.
At our roundtable discussion on March 23rd, we wish to raise these questions to understand the relation between verification and prevention of harms.
What we will discuss:
- The importance of anonymity
- The correlation (or lack thereof) between verification and the prevention of harms
- The effectiveness (or lack thereof) of existing verification norms such as Telecom KYC
- A framework for gradation of verification
- Technical challenges with verification, traceability and identification
- Privacy risks of verification, traceability and identification
- 12:30 – 01:30 PM: Check-in + Networking Lunch
- 01:30 – 04:00 PM: Roundtable Discussion
- 04:00 – 05:00 PM: Close + Tea + Networking
This is an invite-only event so sign up here for the physical discussion / Subscribers will get hybrid access, so if you want to attend virtually, subscribe to MediaNama here.
- Registration does not guarantee attendance. In case you fit our mandate for the curated audience, we’ll send you a confirmation by March 22, 2023.
- Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
- MediaNama’s subscribers get priority and guaranteed access to all our events and activities.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here.