If you’re planning to attend our roundtable on verifications and identification on March 23 in Delhi (or in a hybrid manner), scroll down for a reading list that would help you prepare for this session. Please remember that you’re a participant in MediaNama’s discussions and not just there to listen. Your point of view matters to us.
We’ve had 100+ sign-ups already and limited space at the venue. If you’ve not registered already, we’d recommend you apply to attend today before registrations move to a wait-list.
- Anonymity and Verification:
- Verification and privacy:
- Genealogies of “Verification”: Policing the Master–Servant Relationship in Colonial and Postcolonial India [Read]
- IRS is exploring alternatives to selfie verification with ID.me [Read]
- Verification and biometric authentication:
- On age verification:
- Age Verification Mandates Would Undermine Anonymity Online [Read]
- The sudden global push for age verification to end online anonymity and drive digital ID uptake [Read]
- A child-rights approach to online age assurance and parental consent solutions [Read]
- Global Technological Developments in Age Verification and Age Estimation [Read]
- Anonymity and KYC:
- From MediaNama’s archives:
- Unique Identification Authority Of India Working On Age Verification Through E-KYC [Read]
- 692% Rise In Use Of Face Recognition For Verification: UIDAI Report [Read]
- Summary: TRAI Seeks Feedback On Issues Related To Implementation Of Caller Name Display [Read]
- Does The Government’s Proposed Caller Identification System Violate People’s Privacy? [Read]
- Stakeholders Highlight Problems With Indian Telecom Regulator’s Proposal To Identify Callers [Read]
- Draft Telecom Bill 2022: Does KYC For Telecom And Online Services Violate Privacy And Anonymity? [Read]
- Ashwini Vaishnaw On Draft Telecom Bill Regulating WhatsApp, Mandating KYC And Revealing Caller Identity [Read]
- Why Is The UK’s Communications Regulator, Ofcom, Not Happy With Age Verification On Adult Sites? [Read]
- After US, Instagram Introduces Age-Verification Testing Program In India [Read]
- Anonymity and encryption
- Stakeholder comments:
AGENDA: Exploring User Verification
- Date: March 23, 2023 (Thursday), 2023
- Venue: Viceroy Hall, The Claridges, New Delhi
- 12:30 – 01:30 PM: Check-in + Networking Lunch
- 01:30 – 04:00 PM: Roundtable Discussion
- 04:00 – 05:00 PM: Closing Remarks + Tea + Networking
Globally, there is a growing trend for verification and identification. In India, its presence can be seen even in the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2022 that talks about verification as a means of preventing harms to children online. Similarly, other arguments are that verification can help prevent scams and spamming online.
But bigger questions first. To what extent does a person need to be identified? Why is a person being verified in a certain situation? How can we protect our own sensitive data while undergoing verification? Also, when should someone be allowed to stay anonymous?
A few key discussion points for this session are:
- The importance of anonymity (and the room for anonymity).
- The correlation (or lack thereof) between verification, identification and the prevention of harms, including spam and fraud
- The effectiveness (or lack thereof) of existing verification and identification norms such as Telecom KYC.
- Types of verification
- A framework for gradation of verification.
- Technical challenges with verification, traceability and identification
- Privacy risks of verification, traceability and identification
- Registration does not guarantee attendance. In case you fit our mandate for the curated audience, we’ll send you a confirmation by March 22, 2023.
- Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
- MediaNama’s subscribers, however, get priority and guaranteed access to all our events and activities.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here.