MediaNama invites you to apply to attend our discussion in Bangalore on the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2022.
Event: Reworking the Data Protection Bill
Date: December 14, 2022
Venue: Seasons Hall, Hotel Royal Orchid, Domlur, Bangalore
Please apply to attend here.
This is an invite-only event with limited capacity, so you’ll have to register to attend. We’ll be publishing an agenda and a reading list on MediaNama shortly.
Why we’re doing this discussion
The fourth iteration of the draft data protection bill is finally out and public feedback on it is open till December 17, 2022. It has been described as the “as may be prescribed” Bill for leaving out and trimming down several guiding principles and provisions mentioned in previous versions of the law.
At our event, we’ll have an open discussion on various aspects of the bill affecting the privacy rights of users and the compliance burdens on businesses. Topics that will be discussed include:
- Impact of deemed consent on users
- Privacy safeguards for children
- Protection from state surveillance
- Obligations of data fiduciaries
- Impact on businesses, startups
- Independence of the Data Protection Board
- Obligations of users
- Government’s stance on cross-border personal data transfers
- What’s missing in the bill and how to make it better
We have also prepared a comprehensive guide explaining different sections of the bill.
We’re looking at a gathering of 80-100 people and an audience of technology and regulatory executives from research organisations, think tanks, law firms, internet businesses and startups, telecom operators and Internet Service Providers, and data centres and hosting businesses, among others.
This is an invite-only discussion, so don’t forget to apply to attend. Please feel free to suggest points of discussion and questions, in the application form.
- Registration does not guarantee attendance. In case you fit our mandate for the curated audience, we’ll send you a confirmation by December 12, 2022.
- Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
- MediaNama’s subscriber-members get priority and guaranteed access to all our events and activities. You can subscribe to MediaNama to support our work.