We are pleased to announce the “Government Access to Data” panel (October 7) at MediaNama’s PrivacyNama conference. Our speakers will examine how governments access and use citizen data and the impacts this has on privacy and surveillance for our audience of stakeholders in India and across the world.
We’ll be in conversation with Eyup Kun (KU Leuven), Sreenidhi Srinivasan (Ikigai Law), and Tanmay Singh (Internet Freedom Foundation). Aditi Agrawal (Newslaundry) will chair this session.
Session: Government Access to Data
Date: October 7, 2022
Time: 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM IST
This is an invite-only event. Please register here to attend.
Eyup Kun: He is a Turkish qualified lawyer since 2019. He completed his master studies at the London School of Economics and Political Science (the LSE) with the specialisation of information technology, media and communications law in 2020. During his master studies, he was involved in several projects related to the intersection between data protection and other fundamental rights. After graduating from the LSE, he worked as a trainee at the Data Protection Unit at the Council of Europe. During this assignment, he mainly worked on the guidelines on the facial recognition technologies adopted by the Council of Europe in January 2021.
Currently, he is a doctoral researcher in KU Leuven Center for IT and IP Law since February 2021. He conducts his doctoral research on the intersection of cybersecurity and data protection law in the digital economy in addition to his involvement in the ENSURESEC project funded by European Union Horizon 2020.
Sreenidhi Srinivasan: Sreenidhi leads the data practice at Ikigai Law. She advises the world’s leading technology companies, startups, industry bodies, think-tanks and others, on data governance. She has worked extensively on global privacy laws and cross-border data transfers.
Tanmay Singh: Tanmay Singh is the Senior Litigation Counsel at the Internet Freedom Foundation, and leads IFF’s strategic litigation vertical in court matters relating to privacy, surveillance and online free speech.
Aditi Agrawal: Aditi Agrawal is a technology journalist at Newslaundry who extensively covers issues related to policy, privacy, surveillance and cybersecurity. She has earlier worked at Forbes India and MediaNama.
Agenda and Programme
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 1 | October 6 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Opening Keynote by Prof. Usha Ramanathan, in conversation with Nikhil Pahwa (MediaNama)
- 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM: Geopolitics, Data Segmentation and Cross Border Data Flows
Session Chair: Aarathi Ganesan (Journalist, MediaNama)
Speakers: Arindrajit Basu (CIS), Sidharth Deb (CCG-NLUD), and Sukanya Thapliyal (CCG-NLUD)
- 3:45 PM – 5:00 PM: Privacy, Children and Access to Services
Session Chair: TBA
Speakers: Aparajita Bharati (YLCA & The Quantum Hub), Nivedita Krishna (Pacta), and Prof. Sonia Livingstone (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Consumer Expectations of Privacy in Commerce and Advertising: Profiling, Data Monetisation, Ethical and Regulatory Perspective
Session Chair: Prasanto Kumar Roy (FTI Consulting)
Speakers: Beni Chugh (Dvara Research), Debapratim Ray (Xiaomi), Finn Lützow-Holm Myrstad (The Norwegian Consumer Council), and Udbhav Tiwari (Mozilla)
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 2 | October 7 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM: Data Protection Regulator Roundtable
Session Chair: Renuka Sane (NIPFP)
Speakers: Commissioner Adv Collen Weapond (South Africa), Sharon Azarya (Israel)
- 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM: Government Access to Data
Session Chair: Aditi Agrawal (Newslaundry)
Speakers: Eyup Kun (KU Leuven), Prateek Waghre (Internet Freedom Foundation), and Sreenidhi Srinivasan (Ikigai Law)
- 3:45 PM – 4:45 PM: Privacy and Competition
Session Chair: Sarvesh Mathi (Journalist, MediaNama)
Speakers: Deeksha Manchanda (Chandhiok & Mahajan), Manjushree RM (Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy), Shashank Mohan (CCG-NLUD)
- 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM: Chief Privacy Officer Roundtable
Session Chair: Rahul Narayan (Advocate, Supreme Court)
Speakers: Ali Khan (ZS), Ivana Bartoletti (Wipro), and Monika Tomczak-Gorlikowska (Prosus)
Apply to attend the Day 1 and Day 2 discussions here.
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 3 Workshop | October 11 (IST)
Apply to attend the workshop here.
- 1:30 PM – 1:45 PM: Opening Keynote by Manisha Kapoor (CEO, ASCI)
- 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM: PrivacyTech Demos by Disecto, Doosra, and Priva Sapien
- 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM: Workshop: Understanding Privacy Preserving Advertising
- Introduction to AdTech: Understanding how digital advertising works globally
- Privacy Implications of Current Practices: Impact of advertising practices on consumers, and key privacy regulation considerations
- Reform Efforts (Privacy Preserving Advertising): Key technology developments from app stores, platforms and advertisers.
- Expected Impact: Implications of reform efforts for startups, advertisers and consumers
- Preparing for change: How marketers, advertisers and founders can prepare their companies for a changing environment
- 4:30 PM – 4:45 PM: Closing Remarks
This is an invite-only conference, so don’t forget to apply to attend the discussions and the workshop. Please feel free to suggest points of discussion and questions you think ought to be raised, in the application form.
MediaNama’s subscriber-members get priority access to all our events and activities. You can subscribe to MediaNama here to support our work.
- Registration does not guarantee attendance. In case you fit our mandate for the intended audience, we’ll send you a confirmation by October 1, for the discussions and October 9, for the workshop.
- Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here.