We’re especially pleased to announce that Prof. Usha Ramanathan will be giving the keynote address (Oct 6) at MediaNama’s PrivacyNama conference, to discuss the fundamental and foundational principles of privacy.
Session: Keynote Address
Date: October 6, 2022
Time: 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM IST
This is an invite-only event. Please register here to attend.
About the Speaker
Usha Ramanathan works on the jurisprudence of law, poverty and rights. She researches, writes and speaks on issues that include the nature of law, Bhopal Gas Disaster, mass displacement, eminent domain, manual scavening, civil liberties including the death penalty, beggary, criminal law, custodial institutions, the environment, judicial process. She has been tracking, and engaging with, the Indian national ID project and has written, and debated extensively, on the subject. She has been writing and debating issues of technology and the human conditions of freedom and liberty over the years.
Her work draws heavily upon non-governmental experience in its encounters with the state, a 6 year stint with a law journal (Supreme Court Cases) as reporter from the Supreme Court, and engaging with matters of public policy.
She has been a regular speaker at various universities,and has been called upon by the National Judicial Academy in Bhopal and the Delhi Judicial Academy to address judges on various issues of law and poverty, and on technology and the law.
She was a member of the Expert Group on Privacy set up in the Planning Commission of India which gave in its report in October 2012. She was a member of a committee (2013-14) set up in the Department of Biotechnology to review the Draft Human DNA Profiling Bill 2012. She was a member of the Committee set up by the Prime Minister’s Office (2013-14) to study the socio-economic status of tribal communities which gave its report to the government in 2014. She has been on a series of committees on revising the vagrancy law. She was awarded Access Now’s Human Rights Heroes Award in 2019.
Agenda and Programme
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 1 | October 6 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Opening Keynote by Prof. Usha Ramanathan, in conversation with Nikhil Pahwa (MediaNama)
- 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM: Geopolitics, Data Segmentation and Cross Border Data Flows
Session Chair: Aarathi Ganesan (Journalist, MediaNama)
Speakers: Arindrajit Basu (CIS), Sidharth Deb (CCG-NLUD), and Sukanya Thapliyal (CCG-NLUD)
- 3:45 PM – 5:00 PM: Privacy, Children and Access to Services
Session Chair: TBA
Speakers: Aparajita Bharati (YLAC & The Quantum Hub), Nivedita Krishna (Pacta), and Prof. Sonia Livingstone (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Consumer Expectations of Privacy in Commerce and Advertising: Profiling, Data Monetisation, Ethical and Regulatory Perspective
Session Chair: Prasanto Kumar Roy (FTI Consulting)
Speakers: Beni Chugh (Dvara Research), Debapratim Ray (Xiaomi), Finn Lützow-Holm Myrstad (The Norwegian Consumer Council), and Udbhav Tiwari (Mozilla)
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 2 | October 7 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM: Data Protection Regulator Roundtable
Session Chair: Renuka Sane (NIPFP)
Speakers: Commissioner Adv Collen Weapond (South Africa), Sharon Azarya (Israel)
- 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM: Government Access to Data
Session Chair: Aditi Agrawal (Newslaundry)
Speakers: Eyup Kun (KU Leuven), Srinidhi Srinivasan (Ikigai Law), and Tanmay Singh (Internet Freedom Foundation)
- 3:45 PM – 4:45 PM: Privacy and Competition
Session Chair: Sarvesh Mathi (Journalist, MediaNama)
Speakers: Deeksha Manchanda (Chandhiok & Mahajan), Manjushree KM (Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy), Shashank Mohan (CCG-NLUD)
- 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM: Chief Privacy Officer Roundtable
Session Chair: Rahul Narayan (Advocate on Record, Supreme Court)
Speakers: Ali Khan (ZS), Ivana Bartoletti (Wipro), and Monika Tomczak-Gorlikowska (Prosus)
Apply to attend the Day 1 and Day 2 discussions here.
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 3 Workshop | October 11 (IST)
Apply to attend the workshop here.
- 1:30 PM – 1:45 PM: Opening Keynote by Manisha Kapoor (CEO, ASCI)
- 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM: PrivacyTech Demos by Disecto, Doosra, and Priva Sapien
- 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM: Workshop: Understanding Privacy Preserving Advertising
- Introduction to AdTech: Understanding how digital advertising works globally
- Privacy Implications of Current Practices: Impact of advertising practices on consumers, and key privacy regulation considerations
- Reform Efforts (Privacy Preserving Advertising): Key technology developments from app stores, platforms and advertisers.
- Expected Impact: Implications of reform efforts for startups, advertisers and consumers
- Preparing for change: How marketers, advertisers and founders can prepare their companies for a changing environment
- 4:30 PM – 4:45 PM: Closing Remarks
This is an invite-only conference, so don’t forget to apply to attend the discussions and the workshop. Please feel free to suggest points of discussion and questions you think ought to be raised, in the application form.
MediaNama’s subscriber-members get priority access to all our events and activities. You can subscribe to MediaNama here to support our work.
- Registration does not guarantee attendance. In case you fit our mandate for the intended audience, we’ll send you a confirmation by October 1, for the discussions and October 9, for the workshop.
- Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.