We are getting ready for the second edition of MediaNama’s flagship conference, PrivacyNama 2022. Split over three days this year, October 6 and 7, and a workshop on October 11, we have a stellar lineup of International and Indian speakers, including Data Protection Commissioners and Chief Privacy Officers.
We’ll focus on the following key themes related to privacy and global data governance, among others:
- Approaches towards cross border data flows, with a rapidly evolving geopolitical environment at the G20, WTO, and the Quad
- Segmentation of data and the challenges they pose for businesses
- Age Appropriate Design code from the ICO in the UK
- Children’s access to the internet
- Usage of surveillance tools by governments
- Learnings from 4 years of GDPR
- Trends in Privacy regulations
- Best practices for government access to data
- Construct and functioning of data protection authorities, and their role in upholding privacy
Agenda and Programme
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 1 | October 6 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Opening Keynote by Prof. Usha Ramanathan, in conversation with Nikhil Pahwa (MediaNama)
- 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM: Geopolitics, Data Segmentation and Cross Border Data Flows
Session Chair: Aarathi Ganesan (Journalist, MediaNama)
Speakers: Arindrajit Basu (CIS), Sidharth Deb (CCG-NLUD), and Sukanya Thapliyal (CCG-NLUD)
- 3:45 PM – 5:00 PM: Privacy, Children and Access to Services
Session Chair: TBA
Speakers: Aparajita Bharati (YLAC & The Quantum Hub), Nivedita Krishna (Pacta), and Prof. Sonia Livingstone (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Consumer Expectations of Privacy in Commerce and Advertising: Profiling, Data Monetisation, Ethical and Regulatory Perspective
Session Chair: Prasanto Kumar Roy (FTI Consulting)
Speakers: Beni Chugh (Dvara Research), Debapratim Ray (Xiaomi), Finn Lützow-Holm Myrstad (The Norwegian Consumer Council), and Udbhav Tiwari (Mozilla)
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 2 | October 7 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM: Data Protection Regulator Roundtable
Session Chair: Renuka Sane (NIPFP)
Speakers: Commissioner Adv Collen Weapond (South Africa), Sharon Azarya (Israel)
- 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM: Government Access to Data
Session Chair: Aditi Agrawal (Newslaundry)
Speakers: Eyup Kun (KU Leuven), Sreenidhi Srinivasan (Ikigai Law), and Tanmay Singh (Internet Freedom Foundation)
- 3:45 PM – 4:45 PM: Privacy and Competition
Session Chair: Sarvesh Mathi (Journalist, MediaNama)
Speakers: Deeksha Manchanda (Chandhiok & Mahajan), Manjushree RM (Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy), Shashank Mohan (CCG-NLUD)
- 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM: Chief Privacy Officer Roundtable
Session Chair: Rahul Narayan (Advocate, Supreme Court)
Speakers: Ali Khan (ZS), Ivana Bartoletti (Wipro), and Monika Tomczak-Gorlikowska (Prosus)
Apply to attend the Day 1 and Day 2 discussions here.
PrivacyNama 2022 Day 3 Workshop | October 11 (IST)
- 1:30 PM – 1:45 PM: Opening Keynote by Manisha Kapoor (CEO, ASCI)
- 1:45 PM – 2:30 PM: PrivacyTech Demos by Disecto, Doosra, and Priva Sapien
- 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM: Workshop: Understanding Privacy Preserving Advertising
- Introduction to AdTech: Understanding how digital advertising works globally
- Privacy Implications of Current Practices: Impact of advertising practices on consumers, and key privacy regulation considerations
- Reform Efforts (Privacy Preserving Advertising): Key technology developments from app stores, platforms and advertisers.
- Expected Impact: Implications of reform efforts for startups, advertisers and consumers
- Preparing for change: How marketers, advertisers and founders can prepare their companies for a changing environment
- 4:30 PM – 4:45 PM: Closing Remarks
Apply to attend the workshop here.
MediaNama is hosting these events with support from Mozilla, Meta, Walmart and Amazon. The Centre for Communication Governance at NLU Delhi, Access Now and Centre for Internet and Society are our community partners for the discussions, and the workshop is being hosted in partnership with the Advertising Standards Council of India and Mozilla.
This is an invite-only conference, so don’t forget to apply to attend the discussions and the workshop. Please feel free to suggest points of discussion and questions you think ought to be raised, in the application form.
MediaNama’s subscriber-members get priority access to all our events and activities. You can subscribe to MediaNama here to support our work.
- Registration does not guarantee attendance. In case you fit our mandate for the intended audience, we’ll send you a confirmation by October 1, for the discussions and October 9, for the workshop.
- Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.