wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

‘No fly zone’ for drones 25 km from Indo-Pak border: Punjab government

The Punjab government has imposed a ‘no-fly’ zone for drones within 25 km. of the international border with Pakistan, claiming it as a security and law enforcement measure

What’s the news: Punjab Chief Secretary Vijay Kumar Janjua announced a ‘no fly zone’ for drones along border districts of the state located up to 25 km from the India-Pakistan border, said the New Indian Express (NIE). As per Janjua’s directions, such unauthorised flying objects will be shot down. As per the article, state agencies reported over 50 drones flying from the Pakistani side of the border since January. These drones are meant to deliver narcotics, weapons, explosives and ammunition, say officials. Similarly, Border Security Force (BSF) reported 133 intruding drones between 2020 and 2021. In his last visit to this area, Governor Banwarilal Purohit told officials to implement the drone policy issued by the Centre in 2021, said NIE. Why it matters: Last year, the central government issued the draft Drone Rules, 2021 to mandate safety features like segregating the air space into colour-coded zones while also tracking beacons and restricting imports. It called for a map that distinguishes airspace for drone operations as: red zone (flying not permitted), yellow zone (controlled airspace) and green zones (fly zones). Further, state governments, union territories or law enforcement agencies were permitted to declare a temporary red zone over a specified area for a period not exceeding 48 hours at a time. In August 2020, the Civil Aviation Ministry had said that nearly 70 percent of India’s airspace was greenlit for compliant drones to fly in. This included both green zones and yellow zones. The remaining 30 percent airspace was a red…

Please subscribe/login to read the full story.
Written By

I'm interested in the shaping and strengthening of rights in the digital space. I cover cybersecurity, platform regulation, gig worker economy. In my free time, I'm either binge-watching an anime or off on a hike.

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Studying the 'community' supporting the late Sushant Singh Rajput (SSR) shows how Twitter was gamed through organized engagement

News

Do we have an enabling system for the National Data Governance Framework Policy (NDGFP) aiming to create a repository of non-personal data?

News

A viewpoint on why the regulation of cryptocurrencies and crypto exchnages under 2019's E-Commerce Rules puts it in a 'grey area'

News

India's IT Rules mandate a GAC to address user 'grievances' , but is re-instatement of content removed by a platform a power it should...

News

There is a need for reconceptualizing personal, non-personal data and the concept of privacy itself for regulators to effectively protect data

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ