Bringing you quick updates on the tech space, policy making and digital rights from India and across the globe.
How digital payments evolved during pandemic: PayU Report
Payment solution provider PayU published a report with information on how digital payments changed during the pandemic.
- Streaming services saw a 144% increase in the number of transactions and a 139% increase in expenditure between 2019 and 2020.
- Travel and hospitality saw a 86% drop in the number of transactions and expenditure.
- Etech firms saw “a 78% increase in the number of transactions and a 44% increase in expenditure”.
- The Northeast Indian states had a huge boost in digital transactions, from 63–93% in different states.
- In retail and e-commerce segments there was a massive 106% increase in the number of transactions and a 124% increase in expenditure between the first and last six months of 2020.
Read: PayU’s press release
Top Stories From MediaNama
- IT Rules 2021: What Do They Mean For Payment Companies?
- Bharti, PNB, Delhi Metro’s Domains Stuck As Net 4 Website Goes Down
- Hyderabad Deploys Artificial Intelligence Tools Across 2,000 CCTVs To Identify Mask Violators
- Facial Authentication For Vaccination Not The Same As Facial Recognition: Nandan Nilekani
- Info Edge Proposes Merger Of Subsidiary With Policybazaar Parent
ICYMI: NAMA Event Announcement
MediaNama invites you to apply to attend an online discussion on how the IT Rules 2021 will impact Intermediaries. Our subscribers get priority invites for our events and need not apply. Here’s the agenda and reading list. Subscribe here to support our work.
- Date: April 23 (Friday), 2021
- Time: 2:00 pm IST onwards
Delhi HC to rule on WhatsApp petition against CCI probe
CoWIN will track phase 3 private vaccines too
Citizens will be paying a lot more for out-of-pocket vaccinations starting May 1, but CoWIN, the government’s platform for scheduling and certifying doses, will track private sector vaccinations too. In an interview with the Economic Times, National Health Authority chair RS Sharma said, “Certain changes would be brought in the software – like different vaccines being used, which age group would the government’s vaccination drive include. Co-WIN would be scaled up.” This comes as the government leverages CoWIN to generate Unique Health IDs for people by requiring all citizens who provide Aadhaar to authenticate themselves at the time of vaccination.
Read: CoWIN to be scaled up to track every vaccine: RS Sharma (The Economic Times)
Discord won’t be acquired by Microsoft
Discord is said to have exited negotiations to be acquired by Microsoft, according to Reuters. Discord is incredibly popular among gamers, with features like seamless audio chatting, flexible channel support, and custom emojis, among many other features normally not available on productivity messaging solutions like Microsoft Teams and Slack. The app’s developers are now reportedly looking to take the IPO route; Microsoft was supposedly in talks to buy the company for over US $10 billion.
Crypto exchange Bitex to provide investment disclosure
Cryptocurrency exchange Bitex said in a press release that it would be the first cryptocurrency exchange to provide disclosures on crypto investments mandatorily as required by the government of India. Earlier this month, the Ministry of Corporate Affairs had sought full disclosure of crypto transactions and holdings by companies making it mandatory for companies to declare cryptocurrency investments. The Government has earlier also indicated that the income from cryptocurrency gains will be taxable under the Income Tax Act. The company has “commenced providing Investment Declaration Report for all its retail and institutional investors, becoming the first Exchange in India to comply with the recent amendments made to the Companies Act 2013 by Ministry of Corporate Affairs,” Bitex said.
Read: Bitex’s press release (pdf)