Amazon warehouse workers in Bessemer, Alabama in the United States participated in a crucial vote over the last few weeks to decide whether to form a union or not. The warehouse's nearly 6,000 workers had until Monday to cast their vote and the counting begins on Tuesday. If the majority of the workers vote yes, this will the first time Amazon workers in the US will have unionised. This is the biggest push for a union that Amazon is facing and comes at a time when Amazon workers around the world are protesting against poor working conditions and wages. The outcome of this vote is expected to set off a ripple effect across the country. What do the workers want? The workers are primarily fighting for better pay and more break time. Amazon uses multiple metrics to track worker productivity…
- TLDR: Zoom MacOs loophole, Chinese apps submit algorithms, Signal breach, data localization, US FTC, more August 16, 2022
- Freedom Offer: Get Rs. 1000 Off On Our Subscription Plans August 15, 2022
- In comments on IT Rules, NLUD’s CCG flags ‘Corporate Censorship’ and unequal ‘grievance redressal’ August 12, 2022
- TLDR: Google’s fact-check, WhatsApp privacy, Kids’ data on Instagram, Microsoft in ONDC, GST on online gambling, more August 12, 2022
- IT Rules 2021: Now Google concerned about SRB mechanism for social media platforms August 12, 2022
MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.
Do we have an enabling system for the National Data Governance Framework Policy (NDGFP) aiming to create a repository of non-personal data?
A viewpoint on why the regulation of cryptocurrencies and crypto exchnages under 2019's E-Commerce Rules puts it in a 'grey area'
India's IT Rules mandate a GAC to address user 'grievances' , but is re-instatement of content removed by a platform a power it should...
Why ‘group privacy’ should be recognised, and how ‘non-personal’ data becomes a regulatory blindspot
There is a need for reconceptualizing personal, non-personal data and the concept of privacy itself for regulators to effectively protect data
Please subscribe to MediaNama. Don't share prints and PDFs.
You May Also Like
Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...
135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...
Twitter takes down tweets from MP, MLA, editor criticising handling of pandemic upon government request
By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...