wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Of 661.9 million broadband connections in India, most are in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu

India had 661.9 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of December 2019, an increase of 6% over a three-month period, according to data published by the telecom regulator TRAI. Narrowband connections declined by 9% this quarter from 62.2 million connections as of September 2019. There are still 56.8 million narrowband connections in the country.

TRAI defines internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds more than 512 kbps are broadband. It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2 Mbps.

The total of 718.7 million Internet connections including both wired (broadband: 19.14 million; narrowband: 3.25 million) and wireless connections (broadband: 642.8 million; narrowband: 53.56 million). A majority of these internet connections are on mobile.

Between October and December 2019, total broadband connections increased by 10.9% in rural areas and by 3% in urban areas. Broadband connections form a majority 92% share, while narrowband connections form the remaining 8% of connections.

Some observations

  1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in an urban area with 36.6 million, followed by Tamil Nadu with 34.88 million, and Maharashtra with 34.66 million connections.
  2. Bihar had the highest number of broadband connections in a rural area with 23.55 million, followed by Uttar Pradesh (East) with 23.36 million connections, and Andhra Pradesh with 21.82 million connections.
  3. Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 56.36 million connections. Andhra Pradesh is in the second spot with 52.63 million connections, followed by Tamil Nadu with 46.75 million connections.
  4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and the north-east including Assam are still very low with a total of just 29.6 million connections.

5. UP (East) added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 3.22 million connections between October and December 2019. In urban areas, Tamil Nadu topped the list again by adding 2.44 million connections during the same time period.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

6. Overall, Maharashtra added the most connections during the three-month period with 3.89 million connections.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

The US and other countries' retreat from a laissez-faire approach to regulating markets presents India with a rare opportunity.

News

When news that Walmart would soon accept cryptocurrency turned out to be fake, it also became a teachable moment.

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

News

By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

You May Also Like

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ