India lost 9.13 million active mobile connections in September 2019. The top two telecom operators in India – Vodafone Idea and Airtel – lost 9.4 million active connections in September. Vodafone Idea and Airtel accounted for 63% of all active connections. Along with Jio, the top three now account for 93% of active connections. In terms of the number of connections, Vodafone Idea and Airtel lost 2.58 million and 2.38 million connections, respectively. However, Vodafone Idea still leads with 372.5 million connections, followed by Reliance Jio with 355.2 million connections.
- In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 88.5% active connections, followed by Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, and North East. Jammu & Kashmir has only 42.51% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
- The UP (East) circle has the highest number of connections, with 100.3 million connections (100,342,593 to be exact). Maharashtra is second with 93.7 million (93,687,272) connections and Andhra Pradesh is third with 87.6 million (87,594,298) connections.
- Vodafone Idea has the highest share of wireless connections with 32%, followed by Reliance Jio with 30%, Bharti Airtel with 28%, and BSNL with 10%.
In September 2019, Airtel, Vodafone Idea, and Reliance Jio accounted for 93% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI. The active connections data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and in case intra-circle roaming is still operational, might indicate double-counting of users.
- There were 960.8 million active connections in September.
- Airtel has 92.98% active connections on its network – the highest among all telcos. Airtel has included Tata Teleservices customers on its network.
- Reliance Jio has the second-highest active connection base, at 81.61%.
Follow the sector:
- Bharti Airtel losses soar to Rs 23,045 crore, SC’s AGR verdict had ‘significant financial implications’
- Day after posting a Rs 50,897 cr loss, Vodafone Idea CEO calls for generous payment option for AGR dues