The Parliament’s Winter Session will be held from November 18 to December 13, reported ANI yesterday. The Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs communicated this to both houses. Last year, the Winter Session, which was BJP government’s last session before the Lok Sabha elections, was held from December 11 to January 8.
There have been reports that the Personal Data Protection Bill will be tabled, but the government has formed a panel to look into non-personal data, and a recent report indicates that the government may await the report on non-personal data to table the bill.
In the Parliament’s Budget Session, the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019, was passed in both houses, replacing the ordinance. The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill, 2019, remained pending and was referred to the Standing Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests for examination.
IT Committee to examine functioning of UIDAI, CBFC and cross-border flow of data
The Standing Committee on Information and Technology, headed by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, will examine the functioning of UIDAI, CBFC, cross-border data flows, citizens’ data privacy and security. The Committee has announced all the issues it will examine in 2019-20.
Issues under MEITY are as follows:
- Citizens’ data security and privacy
- Digital Payment and Online Security measures for data protection
- Review of the functioning of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Safeguarding citizens’ rights and prevention of misuse of social/online news media platforms including special emphasis on women security in the digital space
- Promotion of Electronics/IT hardware manufacturing sector and measures for reduction of imports
- Policy issues in Information Technology including cross-border data flows, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT), etc.
Pending private members’ Bills
- Fake News (Prohibition) Bill, 2019, by BJP MP from Odisha Rama Devi. The ministry in-charge is the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Personal Data and Information Code Bill 2019, by DMK MP D. Ravi Kumar, under the charge of MEITY.