The Standing Committee on Information Technology, headed by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, will review the functioning of the UIDAI, functioning of the CBFC, cross-border data flows, citizens’ data privacy and security, among other things. The Committee announced all the issues it will examine in 2019-20 on October 3:
Issues under MEITY:
- Citizens’ data security and privacy
- Digital Payment and Online Security measures for data protection
- Review of functioning of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Safeguarding citizens’ rights and prevention of misuse of social/online news media platforms including special emphasis on women security in the digital space
- Promotion of Electronics/IT hardware manufacturing sector and measures for reduction of imports
- Policy issues in Information Technology including cross-border data flows, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT), etc.
Issues under Ministry of Communications (Department of Telecommunications):
- Review of functioning of BSNL and MTNL and plan for enhancing their performance
- Review of functioning of TRAI
- Review of the performance of schemes under Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) with special emphasis on North East and LWE affected areas
- India’s preparedness for 5G
Issues under Ministry of Information and Broadcasting:
- Review of functioning of Prasar Bharati Organization
- Ethical standards in media coverage
- Film Industry: Problems and Challenges
- Review of functioning of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)
Bills referred to Standing Committees
- The Cinematograph (Amendment) Bill, 2019 as introduced in Rajya Sabha was referred to the Standing Committee on Information Technology for examination and report within two months [Oct 4, 2019, source].
- The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill, 2019, as introduced in Lok Sabha was referred to the Standing Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests for examination and report within 3 months [Oct 18, 2019, source].
Technology related issues other Committees will examine
- The Standing Committee on Chemicals and Fertilizers selected multiple subjects for examination for 2019-20, including promotion of medical devices industry [Oct 7, 2019, source].
- The Standing Committee on Urban Development has selected 16 subjects for examination and report for 2019-20, including ‘Smart Cities Mission: An Evaluation’ [Oct 4, 2019, source].
- The Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare has selected six topics for examination, including the regulation and control of medical devices [Oct 15, 2019, source].
- The Standing Committee on Railways selected about 20 subjects for examination, including digitalisation in India Railways [September 27, 2019, source].
Bills related to technology pending from last session
Two private members’ bill
- Fake News (Prohibition) Bill, 2019, by BJP MP from Odisha Rama Devi. The ministry in-charge is the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. [read]
- Personal Data and Information Privacy Code Bill, 2019, by DMK MP D. Ravikumar, under the charge of MEITY [read]
Also see the other Standing Committees including Finance, and Industry.