#NAMA invites you to apply to participate in our Bootcamp on Understanding Encryption that explains the basics of encryption and introduces attendees to the latest issues around encryption policies.
Date: October 4th (Friday) 2019
Time: 01:30 PM – 05:30 PM
Venue: Gulmohar, India Habitat Centre, Delhi
- Anand Venkatanarayanan, Cyber-security expert, and previously a Senior Engineer at Netapp
- Gunjan Chawla, Programme Manager at CCG (NLU-Delhi), managing the work of the Technology and National Security Team, which focuses on issues that arise at the intersection of technology and national security law, including surveillance, cybersecurity, information warfare, and the interplay of international legal norms with domestic regulation.
Encryption is at the heart of many policy debates today, and we have two experts introducing technology and policy issues respectively, and addressing questions such as:
- What is encryption? What are the various types of encryption and how do they differ?
- How are content, messages and transactions encrypted?
- What are public and private keys and how does PGP work?
- How is end-to-end encryption work? How is it different from different types of encryption?
- When was encryption policies first introduced in India?
- How has the policy approach to encryption changed with time?
- What was the draft encryption policy and what were the issues with it?
- What are the current policy fora where encryption is being discussed?
Apply to attend here: bit.ly/namaencryption01
- 01:30 PM – 02:00 PM: Check-in & Lunch
- 02:00 PM – 03:30 PM: Technology session, How encryption works
- A practical demonstration of how encryption works, addressing questions such as what is encryption, how content, messages and transactions are encrypted, what are public and private keys, the evolution of encryption, how end-to-end encryption is different from historical forms of encryption
- 03:30 PM – 05:00 PM: Policy session, Understanding encryption policies
- A presentation on encryption policies have evolved in India, and an explanation of the issues that form a part of the current debates on encryption in India.
- 05:00 PM onwards: High-tea
#NAMA Bootcamps are workshops that cover the basics of a particular public policy domain,, and is meant to help build a base level understanding of domains from an economic and/or policy perspective. The idea is to give participants a sharp overview of a domain within a short period of time.
Application does not guarantee participation. In case you fit our mandate for the intended audience, we’ll send you a confirmation on or before October 1st, 2019.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event in Delhi. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here. For advertising, contact email@example.com. In case you’re interested in sponsoring our events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.