India lost 11.37 million active mobile connections in July 2019. In the same month, Airtel, Vodafone Idea, and Reliance Jio accounted for 93% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI. The active connections data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month, and in case intra-circle roaming is still operational, might indicate double-counting of users.
– There were 972.34 million active connections in July.
– Airtel has 94.95% of active connections on its network – the highest among all telcos. Also, in the case of Airtel, it has included Tata Teleservices customers on its network.
– Reliance Jio has the second-highest active connection base, at 83.07%.
In terms of the number of connections, Vodafone Idea leads with 380.02 million connections, followed by Reliance Jio with 339.79 million connections, surpassing Airtel’s connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For July 2019 (Total connections):
– Reliance Jio added 8.5 million connections, taking its connection base to 339.79 million.
– BSNL added 288,027 connections, taking its connection base to 116.45 million.
– BSNL (VNO’s) added 2,612 connections, taking its connection base to 107,720.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 88% active connections, followed by North-east, Bihar, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. Haryana has only 71.55% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– The UP (East) circle has the highest number of connections, with 99.7 million connections (99,698,478 to be exact). Maharashtra is second with 93.33 million (93,333,548) connections and Andhra Pradesh is third with 87.32 million (87,317,929) connections.
– Vodafone Idea has the highest share of wireless connections with 33%, followed by Reliance Jio with 29%, Bharti Airtel with 28%, and BSNL with 10%.
The top two telecom operators in India – Vodafone Idea and Airtel – lost 14.72 million active connections in July. Vodafone Idea and Airtel accounted for 64% of active connections. Along with Jio, the top three now account for 93% of active connections.