We have 100+ confirmations (applications closing soon) for our round table discussion on online content regulation, in Delhi on Thursday, September 26th, 2019. Details of the venue and discussion are mentioned below, including a reading list, in case you need context for the discussion.
Date: September 26th, 2019
Time: 2:00 PM – 04:30 PM
Venue: Tamarind hall, India Habitat Centre
01:30 PM – 02:00 PM: Check-in & Refreshments
02:00 PM – 04:15 PM: Discussion on online content regulation — Regulation of streaming services, user-generated content, implications of a self-regulatory code, censorship and self-censorship
04:15 PM on wards: High-Tea
First up, a video we did on why certifying online streaming content is problematic
Regulation of online content: from MediaNama’s archives
- How should online content be regulated? Should it be pre-censored or certified? Notes from the CCG-NLUD discussion (Read)
- Why Justice for Rights went to court, asking for online content to be regulated (Read)
- IAMAI’s regulatory code for OTT platforms outlining principles and seeking a creation of grievance redressal; will it lead to self-censorship? (Read)
- Giving the hecklers the veto: On the self regulatory code that Netflix, STAR, Jio and others have signed (Read)
- As India looks to regulate Internet content, some issues to consider (Read)
Views from our previous discussions on online content regulation
- #NAMApolicy Delhi: Regulation of Online News Content, 2018 (Read)
- #NAMApolicy Mumbai: Online Entertainment Content Regulation, 2018 (Read)
- #NAMApolicy Mumbai: Regulation of Online News Content, 2018 (Read)
- India should reconsider its proposed regulation of online content, CIS
- Shyam Benegal committee report on Cinematograph Act, MIB (PDF)
- Dutch Government’s discussion paper: Online platforms and the need for additional regulation, Kluwer Competition Law Blog
- The death of media regulation in the age of the Internet, NYU-JLPP (PDF)
MediaNama is hosting this discussion in partnership with the Centre for Communication Governance (NLU-Delhi), and with support from Facebook, Amazon and Netflix.
Registrations will be wait-listed soon, but you can still apply to attend. In case you fit our mandate for the intended audience, we’ll send you a confirmation on September 24th, 2019. Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event in Delhi. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here. For advertising, contact email@example.com. In case you’re interested in sponsoring our events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.