Reliance Jio has once again batted for data localisation, stating that its “critical for national interest and security given the increasing sophistication of cyber-attacks” in its annual report for 2018-19. Data localisation will increase investments server and cloud capacity, lead to R&D, and hence create employment in line with Make in India, said the company.
“Jio believes that Indians are the true owners of their data and the ownership should not be transferred to any corporate entity. Without the consent of the user, no data should be collected, processed or used by any corporate.” Without directly mentioning the Personal Data Protection Bill, the company said “this would require a regulatory framework to ensure that corporates are taking adequate measures to ensure data protection.”
As for the company’s quarterly earnings result, Reliance Jio Infocomm added 116 million net subscribers in a year since Q1FY19 and added 24.6 million net subscribers in the first quarter of FY19-20 alone. Its total subscribers stand at 331.3 million. Revenue grew 54.5% year-on-year to ₹14,910 crore.
Subscribers and ARPU this quarter
- Net subscribers increased by 53.8% YoY to 331.3 million subscribers
- Standalone net profit: ₹891 crore
- Standalone EBITDA: ₹4686 crore
- Quarterly operating revenue increased 44.0% YoY to ₹11,679 crore
- Monthly ARPU was ₹122, down from ₹126.2 per subscriber last quarter
- Gross subscribers adds were at 33.8 million
- Monthly churn rate was 0.97% per month
- Total wireless data traffic was 1090 GB in the quarter, up from 956 crore GB last quarter
- Total voice traffic was 785.97 billion minutes during the quarter
- Average data consumption per user per month of 11.4 GB, up from 10.9 GB in the previous quarter
- Average voice consumption of 821 minutes per user per month, flat over last quarter from 823 minutes
Ongoing beta trials of JioGigaFiber services is in its final stages, and early signs have been very encouraging. Enterprise service are also being rolled out, said the company. Last quarter, the company had said that beta trials for JioGigaFiber are ongoing across the country, and the service was being rolled out in 1600 cities. JioGigaFiber will reportedly be launched during the company’s AGM scheduled for August 12.