Netflix has begun testing weekly plans for users in India, the Economic Times reported. The cheapest of these costs Rs 65 a week (which works out to Rs 260 a month) and is for mobile and tablet users only. It does not include HD video, and can be used on one screen at a time.
The company has also launched weekly versions of its Basic, Standard and Premium plans, which can be used on laptops and TVs as well. The Basic package costs Rs 125 a week. Like the monthly version, it does not include HD video and can be used on one screen at a time. The Standard plan costs Rs 165 a week. It comes with HD video and can be used on two screens at the same time. The Premium plan costs Rs 200 a week. It offers ultra-HD (4K) video and can be used on four screens at the same time.
Reports last month said that Netflix was testing mobile-only subscriptions in India. According to the Economic Times, select users got to test a mobile-only plan for Rs 250 a month. It allowed subscribers to watch standard definition (SD) content on one mobile or tablet screen at a time.
139 million memberships worldwide
In January, we reported that Netflix had 139 million memberships worldwide, 29 million more than it had at the beginning of 2018. Of the new paid subscriptions, 1.5 million were from the US and the remaining 7.3 million from outside the US. The company also said it had 2 million free trial users in the US and 7.1 million outside the US. International revenue stood at $2.1 billion, and revenue from paid memberships stood at $80.7 million. Paid net adds for the entire year were 33% higher than the 22 million net adds in 2017. Two months before that, Netflix said that it planned to back 9 original productions in India (see the list here). Its chief Reed Hastings said India could deliver the company’s next 100 million subscribers.
Netflix’s weekly plans bring it more in line with the competition. Its cheapest plan now costs Rs 260 a month and is in the same ballpark as Hotstar’s Premium plan, which is available for Rs 199 a month.
- YouTube: recently launched its Premium plan in India. It costs Rs 129 a month and offers an ad-free experience with access to YouTube Originals and YouTube Music Premium.
- Amazon: Amazon Prime’s monthly plan costs Rs 129 a month or Rs 999 a year. It includes access to Prime Video, Prime delivery, Prime Music and Kindle.
- Hotstar: Hotstar’s Premium plan costs Rs 199 a month or Rs 999 a year. Hotstar also offers a VIP plan, which includes access to Hotstar Exclusives and live sports, for Rs 365 a year.
- Sony LIV: Sony LIV’s Premium plan costs Rs 99 a month or Rs 499 a year.
- ZEE5: ZEE5’s plan costs Rs 99 a month or Rs 999 a year.
- ALT Balaji: ALT Balaji’s plans start at Rs 300 a year.