The internet was restored in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh’s capital, on 1st March, 7 days after it was suspended statewide on February 22. It is unclear if the internet has been restored in the rest of the state. MediaNama has reached out to government officials in Arunachal Pradesh, and will update this when we hear from them.
Internet services were suspended statewide following protests against granting permanent resident certificates (PRC) to six non-tribal communities. According to the Eastern Sentinel report, internet services were briefly restored on February 24, but were immediately suspended after the “situation aggravated.”
This is the longest ever internet suspension in the state, which has until now seen only 3 internet shutdowns since 2017, per SFLC’s Internet Shutdowns Tracker.
- In July 2018, the state government banned internet last year to ensure fair conduct during the state public services commission examinations.
- In August 2016, internet services were suspended for 2 days after protests outside the CM’s residence after the then Chief Minister Kalikho Pul was found dead at his residence.
20th internet shutdown of 2019
This is the 20th internet shutdown in the country in 2019. Of these, 13 internet shutdowns were ordered in Jammu & Kashmir – 6 of these 13 shutdowns were ordered between February 13 to February 23, per SFLC’s tracker. In 2018, almost half of all internet shutdowns in the country were in Jammu & Kashmir.
- February 13: Internet services were suspended in Pulwama after two Indian Army soldiers and a militant were killed in a gun battle.
- February 14: Internet services were suspended in South Kashmir and data speed was reduced to 2G in Srinagar, after 40 CRPF jawans were killed in an attack in Pulwama district.
- February 15: Internet services were suspended in Jammu amidst protests against the Pulwama attack the previous day.
- February 18: Internet services were suspended in Pinglan area in Pulwama district after four Army personnel were killed in a militant encounter.
- February 22: Internet services were suspended in Sopore town after two militants were killed in an encounter.
- February 23: Mobile internet services suspended in Jammu and Kashmir’s border districts of Rajouri and Poonch after violence in Mendhar town in Poonch district