PayPal reported revenues of $4.23 billion, a 13% YoY increase, for the quarter ended December 31, 2018. Revenue was negatively affected by the sale of US consumer credit receivables portfolio to Synchrony in July 2018.
PayPal saw a 17% YoY increase in active accounts, with 267 million active accounts (including 21 million merchant accounts) in total in 2018. It added 13.8 million new accounts in this quarter, compared to 8.7 million new accounts added in Q4 2017. 2.9 million were added from PayPal’s acquisitions of global payout platform Hyperwallet and Sweden based payments company iZettle.
In the full year 2018, PayPal added 38.7 million net new accounts.
Transaction numbers for Q4
- 2.9 billion payment transactions, up 28% YoY
- $164 billion in total payment volume (TPV), up 23% YoY
- Merchant Services volume was up 29% YoY
- eBay Marketplaces volume growth was stagnant YoY, representing 10% of overall TPV for Q4 2018 as compared to 13% in Q4 2017
- P2P volume grew 46% YoY to $39 billion, representing 24% of TPV in Q4
- Venmo, the company’s social payments platform, processed approximately $19 billion of TPV in Q4
- $67 billion in mobile payment volume in Q4, growing approximately 40% YoY
- Mobile payment volume represented 41% of overall TPV in Q4
Numbers for 2018
- $15.45 billion in revenue in 2018, growth of 18% YoY
- Operating margin of 14.2%
- 9.9 billion payment transactions, up 27% YoY
- $578 billion in TPV, up 27% YoY
- 36.9 payment transactions per active account on a trailing twelve months basis, up 9% YoY
- P2P volume grew 49% YoY to approximately $139 billion
PayPal India revenues: