A quick roundup of the developments in the Indian and international digital, tech and business ecosystem.
Developments in the digital ecosystem
Hungama Music’s Sound of Fame 2018 report noted a 48% increase in music consumption, and 2.9x growth in time spent listening, and 3x increase in number of streams since 2017. Note that all figures below are for since 2017.
- Users spent 145 million hours streaming music, with Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka making up 16%, 12%, and 10% of the total streamed music.
- The report noted an increased preference for non-Hindi content, other languages made up 48% of the total streams
- 15% of the non-Hindi music was Punjabi, it was the most streamed language music after Hindi
- Remakes and remixes make up 1/4th of Bollywood music consumption
- Punjabi, Tamil, Kannada, Bhojpuri, Marathi and Bengali each saw over 2.5x growth
- Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam together made up 13.5% of the total streams
- English language music saw a 2.3x growth and a 13% share in total streams
- Streaming of music in Arabic, Spanish, French, Turkish and Portuguese increased too
- Independent music gained attention; Badshah’s Buzz featured among the top 10 songs of the year and was streamed more than the albums of Sanju & Gold.
DocsApp, an online doctor consultation platform, has crossed 5 million downloads. It claims that over 60% of its users are from tier-II and tier-III cities of India.
Nestaway Technologies has launched Nestaway Startup Lab, a 6 month equity-free startup incubation program. This is in partnership with Excubator in Bangalore. It claims that these startups will be able to use Nestaway’s customer base. The Startup Lab will aim to have 3-4 shortlisted startups from March 2019, provide mentorship from Nestaway senior management, and get resources etc from Excubator.
Amazon has appointed former PepsiCo chief Indra Nooyi on its board of directors, reports the Economic Times.
Insider.in has has started live video streaming under a ‘Play it live’ section on its app. Under it, organisers can create ‘new formats that can combine real-time audience reactions, adaptive content, sponsor messaging, commerce and rewards”. Insider plans to integrate commerce – both tickets and tipping for this feature. It is currently offering a rewards system to reward ‘participants’ with merchandise, Insider.in credit, etc.
Reliance Jio has launched its own group calling app called ‘Group Talk’, for Android and iOS, reports The Quint. Users can either create a group and make a call, or choose up to 10 individuals for a call.
Facebook was able to access sensitive personal information such as health-related data that users submitted to 11 separate mobile apps unrelated to Facebook, reports The Verge. Facebook was scooping up sensitive health information such as menstrual cycle details, heart rate, body weight, etc.
- Internet lobby group IndiaTech.org has sought dual-class share structure, differential voting rights (for founder-promoters of startups) from the government, reports the Economic Times. The proposal was submitted to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs and SEBI last week, IndiaTech said that these steps would encourage founders of India’s startups to regain control over their companies and list them on Indian stock exchanges.
- The Chief Electoral Office has delinked Aadhaar data for nearly 3 lakh voters across Maharashtra whose names were collected in 2015, reports the Times of India. Election officials said that only Aadhaar data of the voters was deleted, not their names from the electoral roll. “We do not have their Aadhaar data any more. All the data were deleted manually,” said an official.
- Some prominent sellers on Flipkart such as SuperComNet, OmniTech Retail and RetailNet plan to reduce direct purchases from ‘Flipkart wholesale’ to about 10% or lower in the coming month in preparation for any potential changes in the FDI rules in the future, reports the Economic Times.