Balaji Telefilms’ OTT service ALTBalaji added 4.2 million subscribers for the quarter ended 31 December 2018, bringing its total subscriber count to 13.1 million subscribers (as on February 6). The streaming service reported 4.6 million monthly active users (as on February 6) as compared to 2.3 million MAUs last quarter. These figures correspond to the single day of 6 February 2019 only.
The service said that there was a 1.5 times growth in direct subscriptions in January, because of targeted digital marketing campaigns.
- Subscription revenue stood at Rs 8 crore in this quarter, and at Rs 28.1 crore for 9 months of FY19.
- Revenues from Balaji Telefilms’ digital segment stood at Rs 8.04 crore, which is 7 times the revenue of Rs 1.14 in Q3FY18, but 43.6% lower from Rs 14.28 crore in the preceding quarter.
- The digital segment’s losses ballooned to Rs 25.21 this quarter, a 125% increase over the preceding quarter from losses of Rs 11.16 crore, and a 187% YoY increase from losses of Rs 8.76 crore in Q3FY18.
ALTBalaji has 33 originals in its library, and is releasing two originals a month on an average.
- Six shows were released this quarter, with Apharan being one of the most watched shows, and also the top five to trigger subscriptions
- Another 60 shows are in the pipeline
- Average watch time was 60 minutes a day
- Top 50 cities accounted for 54% of the users
The cost of original shows was amortized over 2 years – 75% in the first year, and 25% in the second year.
Balaji Telefilms reported consolidated operational revenues of Rs 96.3 crore for the quarter ended December 31, 2018, up 48.8% year-on-year from Rs 64.73 crore in Q3FY18. The company also recorded Losses after Tax of Rs 27.31 crore this quarter, from profits of Rs 24.81 crore in Q3FY18. Losses have ballooned 76% over the preceding quarter’s losses of Rs 15.44 crore.
Edit: The headline has been updated to reflect that ALTBalaji has 13.1 million subscribers in all