Zee Entertainment Ltd (ZEEL) reported consolidated revenues of Rs 2167 crore, up 18% from the same quarter last year. The company said that this growth was driven by ‘strong performance of our broadcast business.’ EBITDA stood at Rs 754 crore, reporting an increase of 27% YoY and Profit after Tax (PAT) stood at Rs 562 crore in the quarter ending December 31, 2018 (Q3FY19).
- Advertising revenue: Rs 1463 crore, an increase of 22% YoY
- Subscription revenue: Rs 619 crore, an increase of 23% YoY
- Advertising revenue: Rs 1372 crore, reporting an increase of 21% YoY
- Subscription revenue: Rs 519 crore, reporting an increase of 29% YoY
Total expenses of the company rose by 13.6% YoY while advertising and promotional expenses grew by 12% YoY in the quarter.
In April 2018, the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) had approved the demerger of following subsidiaries from ZEEL:
1. The digital media and entertainment business of Zee Digital Convergence Ltd
2. Advertisement sales for media business from Zee Unimedia Ltd
3. The online media business from India Webportal Pvt Ltd
Additionally, the NCLT approved the amalgamation of Sarthak Entertainment ZEEL.
ZEEL has concluded the second phase of the sale of its sports broadcasting business of Sony Pictures Network on a slump sale basis, resulting in a net gain of Rs 134 crore in the annual financial result for the year ended March 31, 2018.
ZEE5: 36% growth in MAUs over the last quarter
Zee Entertainment’s OTT service ZEE5 saw 56.3 million monthly active users in December, which is an increase of 36% over the last quarter. This does not include users from telecom partnerships. ZEE5 claims to have 1 lakh hours of content and 80 live TV channels streaming.
- The app has seen 50 million gross downloads on Android.
- Users spent an average of 31 minutes per day on the platform
The platform is likely to enter into partnerships with more telecom operators and players, coupled with innovation in pricing, it said in a statement. ZEE5 is also available on Xiaomi, Samsung and LG smart TVs.
Advertising, publicity and other expenses of the company grew 3.4% YoY to Rs 431 crore, due to an increase in marketing and promotion costs for ZEE5, new channel launches and brand campaigns of two channels.
ZEE5 has launched regional subscription packs for Tamil, Telugu and Kannada users to expand its reach in the South Indian market. The packs stream shows before they are aired on TV. This quarter, the platform entered into a partnership with Railyatri to offer a 7-day subscription pack along with their tickets through which they can download and consume content during the travel.
Download: Financials & Release