Real estate

Elara Technologies, which owns property sites Housing, Makaan, and PropTiger, has partnered with Amazon Alexa to offer content and news on real estate on the assistant. Content from the sites’ blog sections – called Housing News, PropGuide, and MakaanIQ – will now be available on Alexa-powered devices.

PropTiger claims to have sold 25,000 homes worth nearly $2.2 billion. Makaan claims to have 45,000 active sellers and 15,000 brokers, with over 1 million registered properties listed on the platform.

Food

Zomato is now present 120 cities in India; online food ordering and delivery services are available in 118 of these cities. The company said it saw 5x the number of orders from home as opposed to the office, and only 28% of the users paid via cash.

  • Monthly order run rate of 28 million as of December 2018
  • Zomato’s loyalty programme Zomato Piggybank helped users save Rs 176 million, and raised funds equivalent to Rs 22 lakh meals for the Akshaya Patra foundation
  • Zomato Gold now has over 7 lakh active members, 71% of the subscribers used their membership to redeem food, and the other 29% opted for drinks. (Read our piece on how Zomato Gold said it would go invite-only and then didn’t.)
  • 75,000 restaurants
  • 150,000 delivery personnel
  • Among Tier I cities, the highest number of orders came from Delhi NCR
  • Among Tier II-III cities, Ahmedabad placed the most orders
  • More midnight orders were placed in Indore than in Mumbai

**
Swiggy’s third annual order report ‘StatEATistics 2018’ was released today; the analysis is based on orders received between December 2017 and November 2018. Some notable metrics:

  • Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Chennai are the most health and diet conscious
  • Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Kolkata ordered their meals up to 36 hours in advance using Swiggy Scheduled

Content and streaming

Star India’s Star Sports Network and Hotstar have the exclusive streaming rights for the international football tournament AFC Asian Cup 2019 being held in the UAE, the company said in a statement. Note that India is competing for the first time in this tournament, which began on January 5. Hotstar and Star Sports Network will broadcast all games in 5 Indian languages – Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Kannada and Malayalam.

**
Production company Banijay Asia has partnered with Dhoni Entertainment Pvt Ltd to create content across different subjects, to be distributed across multiple platforms in India and South-east Asia. Banijay Asia is a joint venture between Banijay and former Endemol Shine India MD Deepak Dhar.

Banijay Asia has previously produced shows like Ruskin Bond’s Ghost tales, Hostages, ARRived with AR Rehman, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (Telugu) and Divided (Tamil) among others.

Transport

Some numbers on Ola Cab’s rides trends during New Year’s Eve 2018:

Break-up of rides taken on Ola Cabs between 10 pm, 31 December and 3 am, 1 January to and from party locations:

  • Mumbai: 23%, Delhi: 22%, Bangalore: 21%, Chennai: 12%, Hyderabad: 8%, Pune: 8%, Kolkata: 5%
  • Ola Rentals were used for as long as 15 hours in Delhi and Hyderabad, for 14 hours in Pune, 13 hours in Kolkata, 12 hours in Mumbai, 11 hours in Chennai, and for 9 hours in Bangalore.

**
Uber is looking to double its headcount in India, with focus on the engineering team, by increasing its Bangalore and Hyderabad teams to 1,000 people in the next 12 months, reports the Economic Times. The company is reportedly using India as a base to build new products and experimenting those in Latin America and Africa. Last year, Uber launched a 5MB Uber Lite app which was developed in India for developing markets; Uber’s Bangalore office is the company’s first office in Asia.

App downloads

According to App Annie data, global downloads on iOS and Google Play crossed 113 million in 2018, reporting a 10% increase from 2017. This was first reported by Exchange4Media. Note that this excludes app downloads from China. The top apps on both iOS and Google Play are: Facebook Messenger, Facebook, WhatsApp Messenger, Tik Tok, Instagram, UC Browser, SHAREit, Snapchat, Netflix and Vigo Video.

The top apps by worldwide consumer spend were: Netflix, Tinder, Tencent Video, iQIYI, Pandora Music, Kwai, YouTube, Youku, LINE and HBO Now.

Other developments

Exchange4Media saw 6.6 million pageviews and 4.5 lakh active users in December, the site posted. Of the pageviews, 4 million originated from desktops, and 2.5 million from mobile phones.

**

Xiaomi Group has purchased 65 million shares of Chinese electronic company TCL Group, giving Xiaomi a 0.48% equity stake in the company, reports GizmoChina. The partnership would entail development of smart products and electronic devices.