In light of TRAI’s new framework for broadcasting and cable services, DTH operators such Airtel Digital TV, Dish TV and cable service providers have put out pricing for individual TV channels, reports The Indian Express. This is according to the new framework where users will be able to choose channels they want to watch.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), in its recent notification, said that “all existing packs/plans/ bouquets will continue uninterrupted till 31st January 2019. No service provider to disconnect any signal or feed to any MSO/LCO (local cable operator)/subscriber till January 31, 2019.” All the distribution platform operators (DPOs) have to migrate to this new framework from 1 February 2019 onward.
Dish TV: The channel-wise pricing of Dish TV can be accessed here. Its channels are segregated by genres. These include English News, Hindi Movies, Lifestyle/Fashion and Sports.
- Dish TV has also highlighted different bouquet pack and pricing from different broadcasters. The bouquet includes packs like Hindi HD Premium, Hindi HD Value, Hindi Kannada Premium 2 from Star India Pvt Ltd.
- The cheapest bouquet is offered by Turner International India Private Limited – the Turner Kids pack which contains Cartoon Network and Pogo for Rs 4.25 per month.
- The most expensive bouquet is by Star India Pvt Ltd at Rs 130 per month. The packs are Hindi-Malayalam-HD, Hindi- Tamil HD Premium 1 and Hindi-Tamil HD Premium.
Airtel Digital TV: It has given the pricing of the channels on its website. The independent pricing for the Hindi language Entertainment Channel is the highest at Rs 22.42 per month.
- Though Airtel also offers ‘Combo Top ups’ on the existing monthly package with a host of channel from different broadcasters, these packs are yet to undergo revision in accordance with the new framework prescribed by the TRAI.
Hathway: It has rolled out individual channel rates, genre based packs and base packs for its 7.2 million digital cable subscribers in 350 cities and towns.
- The base pack of 129 channel is available at Rs 100 per month
- Genre based Add Ons such as English and Business News are available at Rs 42.37 per month
- Ala carte offers an individual channel rate
Den Networks: It has listed bouquet packs from different broadcasters and their subscription cost per month.
- The lowest pack is offered by Disney called Hindi Entertainment at Rs 4 per month
- The highest bouquet price is called All South HD premium by Star. It is available for Rs 145 per month.
The new tariff framework was originally announced in March 2017 and was to go into effect on December 28, 2018 but has been postponed by a month.