BookMyShow has now added an ‘Activities’ tab, offering ticket booking for movies, events and plays. Activities will offer options around food & drinks, nightlife, amusement parks, adventure, gaming and tours, the company said in a statement.
- Under Activities, BookMyShow lists within-the-city and out-of-city options like camping, trekking, scuba-diving etc.
- Ticketing for events like New Year and Christmas parties, Halloween, Holi, and the like.
- Activities like water sports activities in Goa, heritage tours, Kathakali dance shows in Kochi.
Activities will be available in Mumbai, Delhi NCR, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Indore, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Goa, Kochi, Vizag, Lucknow, among other unspecified cities. On the whole, BookMyShow claims to operate in 650 towns and cities in India.
Ticketing on BMS
When MediaNama checked the Android app for Activities in Jaipur, we found that most of the options, including food and drink, and amusement parks came with ticketing options, i.e. they could be booked and paid for on BookMyShow. Some options have a price bracket, with the lower limit displayed while browsing Activities.
When we looked up Activities in Manali, the first option was the Rann Utsav in Bhuj, Gujarat, clearly a mismatch. The second option was a ‘Winters in Manali’ package with a pickup point in Delhi. Other options were adventure sports in Kullu and Prashar. Other options (listed for Manali) included events in Goregaon, Mumbai and in Jaisalmer — something BMS should be looking at: relevance.
(Update, BookMyShow told MediaNama that “Events like Rann Utsav are established properties that have seen high uptake from regions across the country and hence have a global tag. In addition to this, DreamHack, which is happening in India for the first time is targeted at the gaming community that exists across the country. To sum it up, events that have pan-India appeal have been included in multiple cities.”)
What competition is up to
- Earlier this week, Cleartrip let go of 100 employees reportedly due to declining hotel and flight bookings in India’, a ‘lukewarm response to “Experiences” globally. Cleartrip also has several non-flight travel services; its online marketplace Cleartrip Activities was later revamped to Cleartrip local to focus on local activities.
- Only Much Louder’s (OML) events ticketing platform Insider.in also has an adventures vertical. In July last year, Paytm acquired a majority stake in Insider.in for Rs 35 crore.
- Paytm offers ticketing for movies, events, amusement parks, IMAX tickets, apart from hotels, trains and flight ticketing.
- Facebook offers events viewing and discovery, and some ticketing on the platform. An event listing generally leads to a third platform — such as BookMyShow — for purchasing tickets.
- Zomato is looking to launch its own events vertical Zomato Live and last month hired a global head for the vertical – Chaitanya Mathur. It also said its new SVP for growth Durga Raghunath will be working on Zomato Live.
BookMyShow has been diversifying out of ticketing for a while now:
- In March, it entered stage production with Disney to produce live musical shows in India.
- In November 2017, it partnered with PVR Cinemas to integrate PVR’s video-on–demand platform Vkaao.com with BookMyShow (and with PVR’s native digital platforms).
- In June 2017, it launched a music service Jukebox with 1 million songs. A few months later, the company started adding original audio content in multiple languages to Jukebox.
In July 2018, BookMyShow’s parent company Bigtree Entertainment raised Series D funding of $100 million led by TPG Growth, with participation from existing investors.
Edit: The article has been updated on Dec 10 with a response from BookMyShow and event-city relevance.