Softbank’s net income grew by 500% in the six months of FY 2018-19 ended September 30, and stands at ¥870 million, up from ¥143 million in the first six months of 2017.
Operating income from Softbank Vision Fund was ¥632,434 million compared to ¥186,238 million in the first six months of 2017, which was due to a gain of ¥146,682 million from the sale of its stake in Flipkart, its investments in Oyo and computer graphics company Nvidia Corporation.
Here’s a profile of Softbank’s investment in Indian companies:
Softbank Group has now transferred Oyo to its Softbank Vision Fund for $ 0.2 billion after originally acquiring Oyo for $ 0.1 billion in 2015.
Most recently, Softbank invested (with existing investors) $800 million via its Vision Fund in Oyo. Oyo had said that it would invest a significant part of the newly raised funds — approximately $600 million — into its China operations. Prior to this funding, Softbank has invested in Oyo twice before:
- $250 million in a Series D round through SoftBank Vision Fund
- $100 million in a funding round led by SoftBank Group
Softbank pumped in $100 million into PolicyBazaar, the digital insurance platform, in June this year. The funding valued PolicyBazaar at $1 billion. Apart from Softbank Vision Fund, InfoEdge, Softbank Corp, Temasek, Tiger Gobal and others also invested in the platform.
Ola Cabs (ANI Technologies) raised $2 billion from a group of investors including Softbank in October 2017. Softbank has been an investor in Ola Cabs since November 2015, when it participated a $500 million funding round in Ola at the time.
Paytm (One97 Communications)
- Softbank launched PayPay, a barcode-code based payments system in Japan, in a joint venture between Paytm and Yahoo Japan.
- Softbank invested $200 million in Paytm Mall, the e-commerce arm of Paytm, bringing up its stake in the company to 21%. Earlier in April, Softbank had invested $445 million in Paytm Mall, along with Chinese internet giant Alibaba.
- Softbank first invested $1.4 million in Paytm in January last year, the company said it would use the funding develop Paytm Payments Bank.