DB Corp, the publisher of dailies such as DNA, Dainik Bhaskar and Divya Bhaskar, reported revenues of Rs 11.9 crore from its internet business for the quarter ended September 30, 2018 (Q2 FY19). This represents a marginal increase of 5% from Rs 11.4 crore in the same quarter last year.
The segment shrunk its losses before tax by 85% year-on-year to Rs 10.1 crore from Rs. 71 crore the same quarter last year. The company’s digital ad revenue increased marginally by 4.8% YoY to Rs 11.9 crore from Rs 11.4 crore same quarter last year. Last quarter, the YoY growth for digital ad revenue was 3.7%.
Ad revenue: DB Corp’s ad revenues from print saw a YoY increase of 4% at Rs 364 crore.
– After Q2FY18, print ad revenues were adjusted for the impact of last year’s festive season, print ad revenues in this quarter showed an increase of 17.4% YoY.
– Print ad revenue accounts for 88% of the company consolidated revenue from advertising.
Note that the company’s radio advertisement grew the most out of all the segment ad revenue: 4.8% YoY, and 19% QoQ.
Print segment: The company’s print and newspaper publishing business still dominates its operational revenues, accounting for over 91% DB Corp’s operating income at Rs 531 crore. The print and publishing segment revenue for the quarter represents an increase of 4% from Rs 510 crore in the same quarter last year.
Digital business highlights
- DB Corp launched a new Dainik Bhaskar App, although it did not disclose download numbers.
- The company cites a report from CrowdTangle Intelligence as saying that DainikBhaskar.com has the highest social interactions in newspaper sites — 1.2 crore (or 12 million) interactions on Facebook.
- 1.4 crore (or 14 million) app downloads for Dainik Bhaskar and Gujarati newspaper Divya Bhaskar, which grew by 30% YoY. At the end of Q4 FY18, the company recorded 2.3 million app downloads of Divya Bhaskar and Dainik Bhaskar.
- The company has not disclosed page views or unique visitors since last quarter. The last available numbers are as of March 2018:
- Unique visitors: 74 million
- Page views: 1 billion
- Consolidated total revenues stood at Rs 587 crore for the quarter ended September 30, 2018 (Q2 FY19), which represents an increase of 2.8% on YoY basis from Rs 571 crore reported during Q2 FY18.
- Advertising revenues grew by 4.2% YOY to Rs 413 crore as against Rs 396 crore in same quarter last year.
- Net profit fell 41 % YoY to Rs 46 crore, and reduced by 52% over the last quarter this year.
Download: Financials & Press Release