MediaNama invites you to apply for a curated #NAMApolicy discussion on the privacy and security of IoT devices at India Habitat Centre in Delhi, on the 15th of November (Thu) 2018. We are hosting this session with support from ISOC Asia-Pacific.
Apply to attend here: https://tinyurl.com/iotsec01
Connected devices will number 38.5 billion units by 2020, according to one estimate. India is already a key market for IoT, with connected devices like wearables, connected cars, toys and activity trackers increasing in popularity. Conversations about trust, security, and privacy with respect to these devices are in the initial stages, and India doesn’t have a robust framework to ensure that IoT devices are adequately secure and that user data is protected.
At this discussion, we will look at issues around disclosures, consent, data protection, security of data collection, transfer and storage, patching of vulnerabilities, notifications, encryption, dealing with vulnerabilities, dealing with transfer of ownership of device etc.
Topics of discussion will include:
- Data collection, transfer and the security of IoT devices
- Dealing with security updates
- Data sharing, transparency and notification norms
- Encryption of data for IoT devices
- Dealing with non-automated updates
- Compliance and incentivization for manufacturers and policymakers
- Notice and consent with IoT; disclosure norms and notifications
- IoT and children
- Breach notifications and IoT
- Consumer protection tactics and strategies
- Dealing with vulnerabilities in IoT devices
Our objective is to help define a set of principles for manufacturers and regulators to enforce. We’re looking at a tightly curated audience of around 50-60 people across:
- IoT startups
- Device suppliers and importers
- Policy researchers and think-tanks
- Lawyers and legal scholars
- Consumer organizations and
- Tech media
Please note: this is an invitation-only event and our discussions are participative in nature. In case you fit with our mandate for the intended audience, we’ll send you a confirmation on or before November 11, 2018.
Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
To get a sense of the depth of the discussions at #NAMA events, do check the video highlights of our past discussions.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event in Delhi. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here. For advertising, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. In case you’re interested in sponsoring our events, please contact email@example.com