India added 5.39 million active mobile connections in July 2018, with Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 93% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI. Aircel is down to zero since they are now defunct.
The active connections data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 1.006 billion active connections in the month of July 2018.
– Now, Airtel has 99.42% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos.
– Vodafone has the second highest active connection base of 92.84%, followed by Idea at 91.27%.
IMPORTANT: There’s likely to be a high amount of double or triple-counting here, given acquisition of Telenor and Tata Tele customers by Airtel. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Airtel’s network. It’s possible that as per the current format of notifications, Airtel, Tata Tele and Telenor customers are roaming on each other’s network. That should explain why Airtel has over 19 million more active connections than registered connections.
The TRAI really ought to get this data cleaned up.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 342.88 million connections, followed by Vodafone at 207.35 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For July 2018 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 11.79 million connections, taking its connection base to 227 million.
– Vodafone added 0.61 million connections, taking its connection base to 223.34 million.
– Airtel 0.31 million connections, taking its connection base to 344.88 million.
– In terms of active connections, UP (East) leads with 87.41% active connections, followed by Maharashtra, Bihar, and Andhra Pradesh. Himachal Pradesh has 76.84% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 101.21 million connections (101,215,160 connections). Maharashtra is second with 94.4 million connections (94,403,579 connections) and Bihar is third with 86.5 million connections (86,504,277 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 30%, followed by Reliance Jio at 20%, Idea at 19%, Vodafone at 19% and BSNL at 10%.
The top 4 telcos now have 93% of total active connections:
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – lost 3.76 million active connections in July 2018. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 93% of active connections.