India had 362.88 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of December 2017, an increase of 12% over a three month period starting from September 2017, according to data published by telecom regulator TRAI. Note that there were 83.09 million narrowband connections in the country, a number which has been on the decline, possibly as more people switch to broadband from narrowband. Narrowband connections declined from 104.32 million connection in September 2017.


The total: 445.97 million Internet connections, including both wireline and wireless connections, and broadband and narrowband. A majority of these Internet connections are on mobile.

Between October and December 2017, total broadband connections in rural India grew by 13%, and by 11% in urban areas. TRAI defines Internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds faster than 512 kbps are classified as broadband. Broadband connections were the majority in India with a 81% share, while narrowband connections comprised the remaining 19% connections.

It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2mbps, which is still too less.

Some observations:

1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in urban areas with 24.02 million, followed by Maharashtra with 22.19 million connections, and Tamil Nadu with 21.91 million connections.

2. Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai)had the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 9.55 million, followed by Andhra Pradesh with 9.02 million connections, and Uttar Pradesh (East) with 7.79 million connections.

3. Overall, Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 31.74 million connections. Andhra Pradesh is at the second spot with 28.4 million connections, followed by Tamil Nadu with 28.31 million connections.

4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and the North East including Assam are still very low with a total of just 16.53 million connections between them.

5. Maharashtra added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 1.21 million connections, between October and December 2017. In urban areas, Uttar Pradesh (East) topped the list adding 2.68 million connections during the same time period.

6. Overall, Maharashtra added the most connections during the three-month period with 3.84 million connections.