Balaji Telefilms’s revenues from its digital business ALT Balaji stood at Rs 3.6 crore for the quarter ended 31st March 2018, reporting a sequential increase of 227% in comparison to Rs 1.1 crore in Q3 FY18. Full year FY18 revenues stood at Rs 6.8 crore.
ALTBalaji was launched on April 16th, 2017, and thus figures are not comparable to last year, especially since there were no revenues.
ALTBalaji reported losses of Rs 8.63 crore after, a marginal decrease from the losses of Rs 8.76 crore Q3 FY178. In the fourth quarter, EBITDA was at a loss of Rs 31 crore, up from EBITDA loss of 20 crore in Q3FY18. For fiscal year 2018, EBITDA was at a loss at Rs 101.5 crore as compared to Rs 20.3 cr in FY17.
ALTBalaji said its gross billings for the year are now at 7.2 crore as compared to 4.4 crore in the previous quarter. In terms of subscribers,
The company had investments of Rs 442 crore in Mutual Funds as on March 31st 2018. It reported another income of Rs 2.6 crores for the quarter.
- 11 million app downloads additional 2 million downloads through web browser (excludes users accessing the app through telecom partners video app such as Vodafone Play and Reliance Jio users) in Q4FY18. This was 10 million at the end of December 2017.
- During the quarter ALTBalaji went live on the Reliance Jio Platform and Airtel TV platform.
- 800 million+ Minutes of Video consumed with an average watch time of 120 minutes per user at the end of March 2018. This was433 million+ minutes at the end of December 2017.
- 1.2 million paid users this quarter. This was 500,000 for December 2017. The company did not share its current subscription’s base, but previous MediaNama estimate of their base in August 2017 stood at 200,000 (minimum) to 266,667 (maximum) subscribers, likely to be close to the 240,240 mark.
- Launched 17 original and exclusive shows during the quarter (excluding Kids and Comedy
short clips). Content is also dubbed and available in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam. The recently added original shows are Gandii Baat, Karrle Tu Bhi Mohabbat season 2, Haq Se, Fourplay, Galti se Mis-tech etc.
Note that in January, ALTBalaji did a content deal with Reliance Jio, to make available its original content to the users of the online platforms of Reliance such as Jio Cinema, Jio TV etc. In April, ALTBalaji also started offering its digital content portfolio on the Airtel’s Airtel TV app. ALTBalaji also went live on the Vodafone Play before (September 2017) and its content is already available to Vodafone users in India.