India lost 3 million active mobile connections in January 2018, with Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 85% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI.
The active connections data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 1.012 billion active connections in the month of January 2018.
– Now, Airtel has 107.21% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos.
– Idea has the second highest active connection base of 103.76%, followed by Vodafone at 94.56%. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s or Airtel’s network.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 312.6 million connections, followed by Idea at 205.07 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For January 2018 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 8.3 million connections, taking its connection base to 168.4 million.
– Airtel added 1.5 million connections, taking its connection base to 291.6 million.
– Vodafone added 1.28 million connections, taking its connection base to 213.8 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 95% active connections, followed by Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, and Andhra Pradesh. J&K has just 79.09% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 100.83 million connections (100,834,197 connections). Maharashtra is second with 93.35 million connections (93,356,219 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 86.9 million connections (86,942,235) connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 25%, followed by Vodafone at 19%, Idea at 17%, Reliance Jio at 15% and BSNL at 9%.
The top 4 telcos now have 85% of total active connections:
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – added 8.21 million active connections in January 2018, accounting for 71% of active connections. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 85% of active connections.