India added 9.2 million active mobile connections in December 2017, with Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 83% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI.
The active connections data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 1,015.5 million active connections in the month of December 2017.
– Now, Airtel has 104.22% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos.
– Idea has the second highest active connection base of 103.3%, followed by Vodafone at 97.09%. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 302.35 million connections, followed by Vodafone at 206.34 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For December 2017 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 8.01 million connections, taking its connection base to 160.09 million.
– Vodafone added 1.5 million connections, taking its connection base to 212.5 million.
– Idea added 2.43 million connections, taking its connection base to 196.5 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 95.68% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Andhra Pradesh. J&K has just 76.4% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 100.77 million connections (100,774,803 connections). Maharashtra is second with 93.38 million connections (93,383,754 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 87.03 million connections (87,029,047 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 25%, followed by Vodafone at 18%, Idea at 17%, Reliance Jio at 14% and BSNL at 9%.
The top 4 telcos now have 83% of total active connections:
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – added 25.31 million active connections in December 2017, accounting for 70% of active connections. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 83% of active connections.
*The headline has been edited to reflect that it’s total mobile connections and not active connections, as mentioned earlier. We regret the error.